Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Need to understand how the license plate harness connects

HELP!! Need to understand how the '68 license plate harness connects

Friends, I need some help to understand how to correctly re-connect my '68 license plate wiring harness to the main harness. When the rear decklid was removed, they simply hacked the harness at the left hinge. The harness contains a brown wire (which would seem to be ground) and a white wire.

I've checked the main harness near the electrical panel, but I don't see any uncommitted white wires.

I took the picture below from an original '68 at Carlisle. The photo shows the brown/ground wire connected to a ground stud in front of the electrical panel. Does anyone have a photo of the correct electrical connector used for the ground stud, so that I can replicate it as correctly as possible?

Can anyone show/tell me where the white wire connects to the main harness? and perhaps show me the correct fittings to make that happen?

I appreciate the wisdom shared very much. Thank you for whatever contribution you can make.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mshaver51; 05-18-2022 at 06:04 AM.

seriously, friends, i could really use some help on this.

thank you.

Mike,

Here is the part of the cable that includes white and brown wires. The white wire is terminated with a insulated connector. The brown wire attaches to the top of the ground stud. There must be another cable that goes between this connector and the license plate light missing from my car, 11860141.

Name:  9C21CBD8-D49C-45D0-A526-B0BE82230555.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  611F489F-B51C-415F-AC81-14474CC6C501.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  26A5D3B2-1A16-4C4C-9D0A-C278D8559A7B.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  135.7 KB

There is a vinyl covered harness coming off the main harness, there will be a white wire with a male rubber covered spade (shown in post 1) then a harness from the license lights with a ring terminal that goes to the ground post and another rubber covered female spade that plugs into the male spade. Now go shoot your body man!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

It wasn't the body man that did this. I bought the car in pieces. They were going to scrap it.

I'll do my best to find the pieces you described.

I REALLY appreciate your help. Thank you.

Then I'd suggest that you at least buy a new license plate harness from one of the suppliers, a correct new harness will save you much grief.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Name:  IMG_1159.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  76.0 KB
    You didn't say what year your car was, that usually helps. Here is a pic from my '69S. In the center of the picture, you can see the two wires coming out of the tubing, white and brown (please disregard the round lug right behind the white wire, it just happened to be in the background). I have added three pieces of orange tape so you can identify where the white wire goes. After going into a spade connector, it ends up in a harness that is covered with tape, rather than a vinyl tube, and seems to terminate into one of the plugs on the firewall above the engine, then to fuse 7 in the lower fuse block in the trunk.
    Bob B

in response to SIMI BOB, it is now clear that you are correct re which model/year i am researching. mine is a very early '68 911 Normal. my own ignorance prevented me from recognizing that model was important. i'm editing the original post.

in response to Ed Mayo's post, I'm happy to buy a new license harness, and have explored doing so.

however, even with a new license harness, i still have to find where the white license wire connects to the rest of the system.

those things explained, i continue to have deep respect for the intellectual capital that is routinely exchanged in this forum. just so you know, each response has sent me to the garage for additional searching and validation, but without your contributions, everything is more difficult. thank you, each and all.

The white wire you guys are speaking about is actually a grey wire (fades with time I assume). There's a grey wire coming out of the main harness all by its lonesome with a Female spade in a rubber cover (different than the heat shrink ones; unless of course it has been cut), near the other wires by the control panel. On the License Light Harness, there is a corresponding Grey wire with the male spade and the rubber boot that makes a nice clean connection, and a brown wire with a ring terminal that goes to the stud in the picture in your original post. Edmayo mentions that you can see it in the original pic.

If you need a license light harness I have them in stock and they run $50 plus shipping.

I hope to have a video up soon detailing this install.

I hope that helps and if you need more help you are welcome to PM and I can give you my cell number.

License plate light harness

Here's a better picture of the license plate lighting harness, Steve is right, it's a grey wire.