Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Historical Experts: 911s Lightweight Prototype/ 911ST rear bumper details

Historical Experts: 911s Lightweight Prototype/ 911ST rear bumper details

OK, so I have a 1970 911 that has been a race car its whole life, found itself in the Larry Wilson collection, and then found me. I am towards the end of its re-restoration and have decided to take it in the direction of the 911S lightweight prototype:

Name:  LWrear.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  89.8 KB

Here's another restored version of the same bumper setup:

Name:  realrear.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  90.2 KB

Basically, looks like a stock bumper with the guards removed. Easy enough. Here's a shot of mine with the guard removed:

Name:  mine.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  90.6 KB

I like the look quite a bit and can clean up some of the paint work to make it feel better, but I am curious about the gaping hole on the side of the bumpers that the guards normally cover. It appears the restored car has some kind of a plug there? Was there such a thing or did teams use different methods of dealing with this eye sore?

I guess the unfinished look of it bothers me a bit and I'd like to see if there are some sort of period correct solution that makes sense. Hoping some of our historical experts have ideas or thoughts...

Just a guess, but I'm betting they're custom fit of pieces of black vinyl glued in ... I think it looks better finished as well...

Cheers and luck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Just a guess, but I'm betting they're custom fit of pieces of black vinyl glued in ... I think it looks better finished as well...

Cheers and luck

Agreed. Hopefully some folks will have examples of solutions as I really want to go guard less...

And while I have you Chuck, you guys do a great job on this forum. I run a very large non-related automotive forum and really appreciate the tone you guys have created here.

i don't think there is a cover inside there. it's just real clean.
    and you should remove that back rubber edge trim.
    and you'll need screws at the top.
    and the screws at the bottom have a plastic spacer washer.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    i don't think there is a cover inside there. it's just real clean.
    and you should remove that back rubber edge trim.
    and you'll need screws at the top.
    and the screws at the bottom have a plastic spacer washer.
    Agreed on the hardware and rubber... But I think there is something there:

Name:  detail.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  72.6 KB

Maybe a piece of vinyl...

I'm thinking about 3d printing a cap just to get an idea of the aesthetic...

In the race cars days they didn’t care what it looked like, just get rid of the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    In the race cars days they didn’t care what it looked like, just get rid of the weight.

Totally get that. And that's part of the charm as well... I actually love the way the guard brackets sit proud and naked when you toss them... I was just hoping someone might have seen a cleaner more contemplative way to do the bumper ends...

You can see a glimpse of the reflector stuff in the picture. I agree it was just bare, nothing added. Falls in line with the way the race department did everything else.
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Have a look at the S/T thread. I'd think the lightweight S in '70 was done to the same spec as a '70 S/T and a few period shots in that thread suggest it was bare. I know the S/T in '70 has GRP bumpers and an aluminum license plate panel as that's what my racecar has and that part of it was specified by someone who cares tremendously about the details (and unlike me, has quite a bit of knowledge too). The other resource might be the recent sale of the narrow body S/T. Sorry, I couldn't come up with straight links.

It certainly is a look distinct to the '70/'71 race car that is overlooked when people just slap on some plastic RS or RSR bumpers. I like it, but then I also have an RS clone, so I like both!
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

The factory did it both ways. They left the ends open on the earlier race cars but on some (not sure if all) the 72 Factory built ST the ends were closed off with a metal plate and finished nicely. If you're going with the ends open then there's no black rubber trim around the edge.
    72S, 72T now ST