Thread: 1972 Radio Install

1972 Radio Install

Hi,

Just opened up the radio delete plate and was greeted with this.
    I have all the necessary radio mounting hardware but a bit unsure what I’m staring at here. It looks like some sort of clip has broken off and the cables are being held up by a zip tie, hardly factory I imagine.

Does anybody have any pictures they can share that illustrate what this section is supposed to look like?

Name:  8AEFEAA3-5D41-44DC-8D38-0583649D1755.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  63.6 KB

Ok it does appear that a bracket was cut out. A friend was kind enough to send a picture of his dash.
    Name:  4EB3AD11-52CA-4479-AF2D-F6A52B021953.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  37.8 KB
    Does anybody have any idea where I can get this piece? It looks like it’s part of the panel. Am I looking at getting this piece refabricated?

If anyone is interested, found a shop in Union City CA that can help with it, Ernesto at Sound Innovations.

Sound Innovations
    (510) 471-9062
    https://goo.gl/maps/T8pVZXhTJLTPDjaTA

I'm not sure you need the insight at this point, but that missing piece of steel with two round holes receives the U-bracket which then receives the back of the radio (though if you have a US radio, it may be shallow and need a separate bracket that attaches to the back of the radio).
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    I'm not sure you need the insight at this point, but that missing piece of steel with two round holes receives the U-bracket which then receives the back of the radio (though if you have a US radio, it may be shallow and need a separate bracket that attaches to the back of the radio).
    Thanks Rick, yup that’s exactly what I’ve pieced together over the last days. Hopefully will have the bracket reinstalled soon

Name:  231C16A8-55D4-4890-BEAD-198500630891.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  105.3 KB
    Name:  D04B6985-F7F7-454F-B6AD-A3C639EF2FD4.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  99.6 KB

Sound innovations got the job done in a few hours. Very happy with the result

Good job, they nailed it, never seen a groove in the radio knobs though.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

They did, very happy with it. You’re right. The installer actually put the correct knobs on, I incorrectly put the grooved ones on. Will swap them out for the smooth ones again once I get a chance. Good spot!