Thread: How to rotate pictures?

How to rotate pictures?

Hi, I’ve uploaded a few pictures to the forum. They look fine on my phone and ipad but once I’ve uploaded them they somehow end up being rotated 90*. Any idea what’s going on here and how I can fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    Hi, I’ve uploaded a few pictures to the forum. They look fine on my phone and ipad but once I’ve uploaded them they somehow end up being rotated 90*. Any idea what’s going on here and how I can fix this?
    It's a weird Apple thang. Happens to me as well sometimes. I just preview my post and if I see that a photo is rotated, I rotate the native picture to correct before upload. Again, previewing the post before submitting will catch it.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Im with Michael on this.
    There is also the 'portrait verses landscape' issue too, again probably an ""apple'' thang.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    If you cannot, I will always be happy to repair. Sorry about this issue.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

^^^^ PS - I rotated your photo in your latest post.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Thanks everyone, happy to hear it’s not just me.
    Good tip, thanks Michael

Ok, i found the fastet workaround for iphone / ipad users who are too lazy to turn on their PCs (i.e. me):
    The iphone stores the pictures correct orientation in EXIF data instead of within the file format. vBulletin ignores the EXIF data when uploading, hence why pictures that are auto-rotated on the iphone via its gyroscope show up flipped.
    Here’s the workaround:
    1) Open the picture in iOS.
    2) Rotate the picture 90*. The picture should be flipped to its side now
    3) Save the edit. (This step is important, if you just flip it 360* iOS recognizes that you flipped it 360* and won’t save the rotation into the file)
    4) Now open the flipped image and rotate it another 3x (270*) to get i back into the correct orientation
    5) Save, then upload.

To turn pics prior to posting?

Aha, I thought...I'll turn them 180degr and save them upside down into my file .... that way they are already turned to "compensate" for the way I want, right?... No, not so fast...so now I have the pics stored both turned and not turned...they show up "upside down" anyway...I can't win...Never happened to me in all these years...Thanks Camarilla for the suggestion but it must be an easier way to do this...can anyone help?.

Thanks.../ Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

FWIW, I’m always successful on my iPad. Happy to assist!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by larwik View Post
    Aha, I thought...I'll turn them 180degr and save them upside down into my file .... that way they are already turned to "compensate" for the way I want, right?... No, not so fast...so now I have the pics stored both turned and not turned...they show up "upside down" anyway...I can't win...Never happened to me in all these years...Thanks Camarilla for the suggestion but it must be an easier way to do this...can anyone help?.

Thanks.../ Lars...
    Hey Lars, sorry it’s causing you this trouble. I know how irritating it is. Try this. Choose the picture you want. Now rotate it 90*. Now hit save. Now open it again. Now turn it another 270*. It should hopefully work now.