I'm looking at replacing the stock head unit that provides CD player etc with the Porsche PCCM+ unit from Pelican.

This is a spendy option upgrade and I'm thinking seriously for adding it to my 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet 6-speed.

I'm pretty handy with 'car stuff', but fancy electronics and routing new wiring for mic and GPS antenna kind of concerns me knowing the Porsche shop experts are much better (have more knowledge than me) at doing the more difficult and unexpected installion chores/tasks.

This unit will IMO provide some modernization to my 2002 Carrera 4 and from the looks/design of this PCCM it fits nicely into the existing console, and offers the hands-free & voice control activities for iPhone and its Nav system for me.

So my question here is:
Do folks here recommend a DIY project for this, or should I pay the extra to have a Porsche shop install this unit for me.

Things I like for this unit are...
  • It simply looks good and a bona fide Porsche like design.
  • Adds modernization to my 2002 Porsche.
  • Is feature rich with Apple Play, iPhone connectivity, Nav system, integration to my car's Bosé audio system, Voice control, hands-free, and so on.
  • A concern I have is - Will adding this PCCM unit remove my CD changer facility? You can see from the photo of the installed PCCM that my current CD slots will go poof!

I attach photos: My current console, the PCCM unit after being installed in a Carrera 4S, the mic location, and the GPS antenna.

Also... Does the PCCM+ come ready to operate the Nav with route guidance and map database, or does the map database have to be purchased in addition to the base PCCM+?
Also... What what to do with the stock Head Unit that is removed to make place for the PCCM+ ?

Thanks for your advice.

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 1.36.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 1.39.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 1.40.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 1.40.46 PM.png