Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today's Autox

Thanks Chuck. I didn't mean to steal pemz0r's thread. He is far more of a magician than I am. And I am certainly not a X'er, but given there was no other driving competition at PCA parade, and this was more of a time-trial or short track course (which was awesome, hopefully they do more "bigger" autocross courses in future years). There were a few other early cars, including a veteran of this board who won p02 (both male and female classes)!

Saying absolutely nothing of my skill...I will always find it remarkable that a 50-year old car can do so well at any driving competition. pemz0r is winning FTD with a SWB 912-6. The parade autocross was won, by many seconds, by a very modified 914-6 that didn't need to brake. I was 37th out of 350 with a 51-year old longhood that I drove back and forth to the parade, let out 10 psi on the tires and stiffened up my rear swaybar to promote oversteer - and that was it. Beating a bunch of water-pumpers and GT cars. Porsche made some very, very special cars 50 years ago and they love to be driven.

Admittedly I prefer the full track, but for learning how to handle your car at the limit, nothing beats autocross. More, for any folks who have these cars and are afraid to explore the limit at speed, autocross is a consequence-free way to do so. You can spin out and worst case is you get some dirt on your tires. You loose it on a full track, the consequences can be a bit more severe. So short story for anyone on the board is try out your next PCA autocross, even if to just to feel what your car feels like at the edge (and beyond) and how to handle under and oversteer. The cones don't hurt! And as you say, the true masters at autocross are magicians in the ability to make the car do what they want.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Rick, that looked like a fun course! You can steal my thread anytime

Chuck, since you are in Reseda, I invite you for a spin in my car if you would like. The next event is at Angel Stadium on July 9th. You can come too Rick, but i think it will be a little bit further of a drive

Currently, the engine and trans are out for some maintenance; checking torque specs, valve adjustments and some cleaning.. but it should be all back together by then.
    Name:  20220617_152945.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  177.2 KB
    Name:  20220615_154051.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  118.4 KB
    Name:  20220615_162914.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  129.1 KB
    Last edited by pemz0r; 06-18-2022 at 06:23 PM.

It was fast. Wish I had the 901 though.

Times here.

You can read more about Piera here.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by pemz0r View Post

Maybe someone can explain how I was having trouble getting into first but the rest of the gears no problem. I thought if a clutch goes bad, you can't shift into any gears, only 5200 miles on the clutch.
    Usually clutch adjustment. Freeplay too much or pedal stop not high enough to allow full disengagement. How far from pedal stop does clutch start to engage.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I can't recall at this point in the video, but my buddy said the same thing about the clutch adjustment. The clutch was getting softer and softer throughout the day, so I tightened it up when I got home. I tightened it too much because it started to slip when I would release the clutch pedal, I only moved the clutch arm 10mm. I sent my clutch and pressure plate to the company I purchased it from to test it, that way I can start a process of a elimination. They were thinking that the clutch was getting too hot and slipping.

I am going to open up the trans and check the syncros as well.

Cleaned
    Name:  20220621_131403.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  153.6 KB

pemz0r, you out today? Some fun to be had in Hartford, CT...

MBR #3926
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

I did have an event today. It was the shortest/slowest course I have ever ran, so that was sorta a bummer. The first 2 turns were painful.

Quote Originally Posted by pemz0r View Post
    I can't recall at this point in the video, but my buddy said the same thing about the clutch adjustment. The clutch was getting softer and softer throughout the day, so I tightened it up when I got home. I tightened it too much because it started to slip when I would release the clutch pedal, I only moved the clutch arm 10mm. I sent my clutch and pressure plate to the company I purchased it from to test it, that way I can start a process of a elimination. They were thinking that the clutch was getting too hot and slipping.
    You did verify first that the clutch cable is in good state? Getting less and less free play is a #1 symptom of a failing cable.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Hey Frederik,

Ya the clutch cable is good. There was a handful of things that needed to be addressed.

I replaced 1st and 2nd synchros, replaced 1st gear cone
    Overhauled the shifter with new grease and bushings
    New coupler bushing
    Added a Clutch Spring, never had one for the 25 years since I have own the car..
    I replaced the Pressure Plate diaphragm, for some reason the TO bearing was wearing into the fingers.
    Name:  20220630_113331.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  20220611_095723.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  20220701_141452.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  108.1 KB