Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just before heading off to Goodwood FOS….

Ed may be spot on . I've had this problem numerous times , remove the level sending unit and look at the screen .

I'm of the opinion that you really need to take out the screen, hold it up to a bright light and see if you can see the tube thru the fine mesh screens. If you can't that will be at least part of (if not all of) your problem. I just remove the sender unit and pump out the fuel with a generic pump that I run off the car battery.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed and richy,

very appreciated comments!
    I also like to understand stuff....
    If my carburators 'wells' are full of fuel (I have the vials to check float level) than the car has enough fuel to idle and to rev up, right!?
    I will run the car with the vials on tonight to see if with a running car the float levels stay ok. If so than removing the screen still make sense as I do not like pumping gas in and out in little garage. Will do if this could/would be the cullprit
    Last edited by BartdeBruijn; 08-09-2022 at 02:37 AM.

update 22 Aug.2022

After cleaning float bowls, jets etc. of my 40 IDA's I remounted carbs and found out that my fuel pump (Facet Gold-flo pro) was not delivering any fuel. Was making the noice as if trying to build up pressure but did not became quiet and no flow.
    When trying to let it feed from a jerrycan still no flow. Also when feeling with my finger on input side there was no sucktion.... nothing.
    So will order new fuel pump and see what that will bring.

Best,
    Bart

sounds like you got the fix.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

hope so but still bit cautious. will get new pump Wednesday so lets see.

strange however that it did not just fail but it ‘died’ slowly. that was probably also the reason that one moment the car was running as a dream and next time it ran really bad....

will let you know if the new pump solves the problem!

It would still be wise to check filter sock in tank, might explain why pump "died slowly"
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yeah, will do for sure. Have to drive tank (close to) empty first before can take up that task. Don't like to start fooling arround with a lot of fuel in a relative small garage.
    will update when I checked!

update & closure of thread

the problem seemed to be a faulty Facet gold-flo fuel pump who slowly stopped working.
    I also checked dirt in my Weber IDA40’s but only found small bit in one of the bowls.... could be also (part of) the problem.
    for sure it was the fuel pump as in the end it delivered zero fuel.
    will check fuel tank screen if tank is almost empty but for now all looks good.
    she is running like a dream again!
    thanks for all advice,
    Bart
    Last edited by BartdeBruijn; 08-28-2022 at 07:52 AM.