Thread: Refurbished 1965-71 Porsche 911 oil tank

Smile Refurbished 1965-71 Porsche 911 oil tank

This is a nice refurbished early 911 oil tank. Originally in nice condition-no leaks. Two coats of POR15 applied followed by black satin top coat. Includes console and sensor.
    All new gaskets. Price is $750 shipped CONUS. I take Paypal at pkg911porsche@aol.com to family and friends no charge or add 3.5% for guaranteed refund. Qustions contact me at 952 835-9969. Thanks for looking. Peter

I mean no disrespect, but I thought the swb oil tanks had a curved leading edge.

According to Pelican Parts 1965-71 oil tanks are all the same. Peter

They are not the same. SWB are different. I bought one like yours and it didn’t fit my ‘66.
    Scott

1965-1971 Oil tank

I have sold several of these with no complaints. I will contact Stoddard for the final say. Contacted Stoddard today and Stoddard confirmed 1965-1971 911 oil tanks are all the same. Please ignore comment by Bradford! Peter
    Last edited by pkg911; 06-22-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Perhaps a photo will help explain

The tank offered for sale appears to be very nice, and I wish to be clear that I mean no disrespect in this response. At worst, the comment offers a free bump for a nice piece.

As suggested last week, I respectfully suggest that the 65-68 oil tank was slightly different from the 69-71 tank. The SWB tanks had a curved leading edge, which (I am fairly certain) was straightened for the LWB version, as shown in the photo (I hope). (I do not know whether this minor difference affects fit, and it is entirely possible that the two tanks are functionally interchangeable.)

I fully acknowledge and respect that it is entirely possible that the parts outlets now offer only the LWB version of the tank, and I have no quarrel with anyone. I also respectfully suggest that Stoddard is a good resource, especially if you ask to speak with Paul Domitrovic, who has pretty extensive experience with SWB details.

Again, I wish to be clear in stating that I mean no disrespect in this comment, but as I wrap up my current SWB project, and prepare to begin a '67 coupe project, these sorts of provenance details seem to become important (and possibly aggravating).

Good luck in all respects.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OIL Tanks

Porsche Parts Catalog: 1965 to 1969 list part number 911 107 001 16 AND 911 107 001 69
    Porsche Parts Catalog USA 1970-1973 part number 911 007 001 15 for up to/ ending model 1971

There's a SWB model -16
    '69 Model -69 (Krafty Germans -!)
    and 70-71 model -15

The SWB model uses an in/out filter bracket 901 107 025 00 through '68
    In '69 new Filter Holder 901 107 901 00 and 01 for the S continuing on through '71

There is an oil filter hole location difference in the tank starting in '69. Hence different oil filter brackets that connect the filter to the tanks.

Sooo......You can't use a '66 oil filter adapter on a '69 but you can use the '69 adapter on the '66 car. Concours aside. (note: so I've read).

Line up the holes ....don't end up with oil starved engine......bigger problem....than curves.

I just sent one out to someone who had the oil console hole on the tank rotated 180 degrees. If you rotate the console 180 degrees so the holes match it works just fine. Peter