Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reversable screw driver

I also located with the screwdriver a tool bag Jusin markings no snaps and definately no evidence of ties at any stage either

Any ideas when is the correct period for it?
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Hi Clyde,

Hope all is well?

The reversible ( aka double-ended) screwdriver with the particular red handle ( not to be confused with later handle that some try to pass off as model 73 handle*) certainly came in the toolkit for first RHD RS made around November 72 and delivered to U.K. January 73. Evidence in black and white from 1973:

Name:  436A0562-C6B9-4890-82E0-E6BE90FC9C90.jpeg
Views: 116
Size:  58.0 KB

Also posted about it here
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...le#post1102369

The press snippet (highlighted yellow ring in image) is a journalist’s comment about the actual contents of the kit as noted on first drives of RHD RS early in 1973 so when car was nearly new — in what is a quite unusual piece of detail about a tool kit contents in a new car the reversible screwdriver is referenced specifically.

My Carrera RS RHD as you know one the first 500 series built before Christmas in calendar 72 also has its red handle reversible tool from new to best of my knowledge.

I see the sloppy term 73.5 used regularly to describe a FS toolkit with that particular red reversible driver; maybe the toolkits coincidentally appeared around at the time of the CIS engine hitting the NA market — cars of that type usually dubbed 73.5. But it wasn’t a toolkit FOR the CIS (so-called 73.5) engine variants.

The red handle reversible documented as being found in the toolkit of that British market Carrera RS — a model that was not sold officially in North America clarifies that possible misunderstanding when bandying about the loose term “73.5 toolkit”. I also know of these reversible red handle in toolkits of some well known low owner model 73 carburettor T that were not NA market models.

On this basis I’d estimate the reversible superseded the previous Philips / long flat red handle pair in all world markets cars built towards end of calendar 72; thereafter generally in long-hoods for balance of model year 73 (allowing for the usual exceptions to the rule) .

The impact bumper cars soon got a revised long screwdriver in the kit one i see usually yellow redesigned for that bumper headlamp clearance supplied as one of several blades I think . These later ones were supplied to give bumper vs lamp screw reach and clearance for that task . They were allocated a P number in the tool reference books ( not that commonplace toolkit tools get P status often the best known being the stamped fan pulley holder). Despite being a P tool I’ve not seen P marked on 74+ model screwdriver itself However post 74 screwdrivers a diversion.

So back to question : the red-handled double ended
    of correct shape, size and markings were used for only a relatively short time and seem quite hard to come by these days. I have my original RS screwdriver in the cars original kit and one in a complete kit that’s been reserved for several years by friends for their recently restored genuine RS. A good home. Also a third spare correct handle identical to the others which are a great reference (but seem to recall latter orphan red handle despite being the real deal might be minus the double-ended blade itself not exactly a common shape and size. )

Different car delivery modes, car delivery lead times, thrifty Porsche using any kits in the pipeline and so forth probably make it hard to narrow down exactly a first used date closer than this but fortunately for anoraks the comments from a detail-oriented journalist about a car ( a known RS so known build known delivery date certainly help us pinpoint at least for C16/EG cars supplied via Porsche GB.

More generally images of the reversible in black and white appear in the model 73 owner/ driver handbook so whilst Porsche reuse of images make the books unreliable for authenticity they at least show the double ended screwdriver first flickering on the “radar” in the printed material for model 73 during calendar 72. So seem to be the illustrative kit time when the studio shots for those glovebox books were taken even if some other tools weren’t the final version usually found in production cars.

What is for sure, we can’t argue with article written by a detail oriented journalist in early 1973 about RHD RS vin 911360006x (IIRC chassis built Nov 1972 then shipped across English Channel for the beginning of the new year 1973) the importer RS press car. The incomparable “Jenks” ran the car in — others who drive it soon after usefully for us fifty years provided the above documentary evidence of “double-ended” screwdriver being in that example’s toolkit

Best

Steve

*Buyers beware… not of Clyde . But generally on Porsche screwdrivers not all interchangeable red ( yellow) handled ones are relevant for Porsche 1973; such tools were not uncommon product of west Germany. I probably have approaching 100 red (or yellow) clear handled screwdrivers sitting in a tool drawer just accumulated that might see general use. Quite a few from my late dad’s toolboxes. Tools made in West Germany ok quality but without any great merit however only three of mine I know from their provenance or very detailed examination are pukka Porsche toolkit reversible for 73. Frankly nothing special unless your toolkit happens to be missing the absolutely correct hard to find one! Hence the prices asked if one is found. Porsche used a similar (but different in detail) red interchangeable handle variant years later. Got one of those that would be useful as a placeholder foe 73 as superficially similar so many might think it is the proper 73 one. I’ve seen those offered as real deal 73 as always devil is in the detail! Easy to get confused or even worse mislead. I’ve seen silly money asked for clearly not the 73 ones !!!
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-23-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Steve

Do you have any info on the Jusin bag with no snaps or ties and a pic of what you believe to be a correct red handle reversable screw driver?
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Hi Clyde it is ties on my bag. Also a (fuzzy) photo of the car referred to in the words seems to show it has ties. Hard to see as not totally clear shot but might be the loose ends peeking out bottom left corner in this photo ( if not the tie ends not sure what else those lighter things would be?) plus can’t see any press-studs catching the light like the tools do.
    Name:  C59F6BF4-C58B-47A8-A4E5-6BF6509C9117.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  108.6 KB
    Name:  CEDAC782-EDEE-439A-BC55-5FCC71F0689D.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  58.0 KB

I believe the tie bag gave way to the similar with press-studs variant during the springtime a conclusion based on inspecting many including some known RS cars with low owner low mileage where there is quite sound provenance. Hard to be sure and too dogmatic with loose accessories even if a car’s history over five decades is well known.

Oddly enough the lowest owner lowest mileage best preserved RHD RS I’ve been over in detail had a complete toolkit except even on this wonderful reference exemplar the red handle screwdriver had gone missing. It had press stud and was second series RS around April.

The kits were not different on RS, I refer to the model for these purposes because I have followed ans inspected RS much more than TES also RS build dates are quite well known. I’ll dig out a photo of red handle and email directly. I recall that I took some photos to help another RS owner here that was looking for correct one so hopefully should still have message in my sent mail.

The the tool reference thread has some photo examples of correct one. As mentioned among the many red handles being offered the one to be careful about is the later Porsche red handle getting confused with (or passed off as?) the correct 73 one — they are different in some details but being Porsche possibly more liable to be confused or get spun.

As always in early Porsche things I have seen some variations, no doubt there would have been kits in the system as supercession happened. Kits and their will have been lost then put together not always period authentic. Possibly a few the very earliest RS might’ve got the previous toolkit version but since the in the journalist’s comment about known car 911 360 006x Vin range is clearly documents as double-ended my feeling is red double ended is norm for RS from about the the fiftieth example built. Unusual to have such an (albeit single) datapoint for an obscure accessory. It helps dating that Jenks tells us this car was delivered to the U.K. sole importer in the first week of January 1973. We know that was one of the just 319 RS examples from the original 500series built during calendar 1972. It still exists and I know the family who own it today. Accords exactly with toolkit (also many other car details besides ) of my January delivered similar RHD RS example that was also one of those calendar 1972 built 319 chassis.

So imo Tie bag transitioning to similar but with pair of press-studs during spring. Hard to be sure but I tend to be quietly sceptical of what I see if doesn’t follow the sort of pattern I expect to see when opening the lid to give the car’s kit a quick once-over.

Steve

Cheers
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-24-2022 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks Stephen

In summary I think I may have the correct Porsche reversable screwdriver for 73 but now there is doubt that the Jusin marked bag came in a no tie, no press stud version.

I'll get my magnifying glass out to see if there were ties at some stage but I think not from previous inspections as no stitching is damaged or broken on the edge where the ties would have been stitched in.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6