Thread: 911t 2.4L CIS won't start

911t 2.4L CIS won't start

Took my 1973 911T 2.4L with CIS out for a drive this morning everything was fine.

About an hour later went to move it, first try wanted to start, second try nothing.

When I turn the key gauges fire up but I can't hear fuel injection/fuel pump.

Checked all fuses (front and back all good).

Anything else I can check before towing it in to get checked out?

Thanks

Since you're in Ariz. its likely vapor locked. I'm surprised this has never happened to you before? It would probably start after sitting for several hours, but you could try removing the aircleaner and with ignition on, slightly lift the sensor plate, you should hear a whistle from injectors as fuel is bled thru them. DON"T over due this as you can flood the engine, only a couple seconds!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

No luck, fuel is not flowing, just a clicking sound when key is in start mode, back by the top of the engine.

Battery is fully charged.

With your car, it is easy to disconnect at fuel filter, on left of engine, and put a paper cup at the end of that tube, and see if gas is pumping thru. (Turn key on)
    Then you can see if you have a fuel problem.
    (It’s all 1. Fuel, 2. Fire and 3. Air)

(At least the 1974 cis has the fuel filter on the left)

If fuel issue : in this order, starting at tank
    No gas, gas too low.
    could be clog coming out of tank, (common, from storage, rust from 50 yr old tank)
    Clog at fuel pump
    Clog before fuel filter
    Clog after filter
    Dead pump
    No electricity to pump

Getting gas pumping at fuel filter will rule out all the above.

Then after that the CIS stuff.
    Last edited by Scott A; 06-26-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Scott, I will give some of this a try tomorrow. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AZBrewCrew View Post
    No luck, fuel is not flowing, just a clicking sound when key is in start mode, back by the top of the engine.

Battery is fully charged.
    Clicking noise??? sounds like starter solenoid isn't engaging the the starter armature. So to be clear, does the engine turn over when when engaging the start position of the ignition switch?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Edmayo, no the engine isn't turning over, also no fuel injection sound?

Your starter, or lack of sufficient voltage to it, is your first problem. If in fact the battery is good then its a defective starter. If you have to replace the starter you should get the 1.5 h/p. SR68 X Bosch rebuilt (your original is only a .75 h.p. starter) You will be less likely to have hot start failure problems with the higher h.p. starter.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

EdMayo, You named it. Next time you are in Arizona I owe you a beer or your favorite libation!

Tried charging the battery, it wouldn't hold a charge, Pulled it out, it was 8yrs old and the previous owner only drove the car six months at a time!
    Put a new battery in and it fired right up!.
    Thanks for helping me not over think it!

It is often a simple solution,,,glad you got it
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.