Thread: SWB SCholars: Seeking Photos of Correct Perlon Carpet for SWB Front Trunk

SWB SCholars: Seeking Photos of Correct Perlon Carpet for SWB Front Trunk

Sometimes the details end up consuming the major issues, but I'm at the stage with 11880001 where details seem to arise constantly.

Therefore, I once again seek the wisdom of the resident scholars with regard to the correct configuration of the perlon carpet in the front trunk.

I am told that the carpet pieces which line the inner fenders are glued, so I want/hope to get it right the first time.

Can anyone provide me with some fairly detailed photos of correct trunk carpet for late '67/early '68?

Detailed photos showing the finer point of the installation of the fender pieces?

Details of the strap hangers under the wiper shroud?

Details of the carpet in the upper and lower corners?

Thank you, as always, friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You mention Perlon. I was told by several "experts" that at least for 67 911S Targa, the trunk carpet would/should have been boucle (what we call square weave), even though the interior carpet was hargaarn velour. The parts book confirmed this by chassis number. I opted to heed this advice, and the car was never "dinged" for this at several concours. Perhaps this changed in 1968, and surely later. There is no question in my mind, however that the modern "perlon" is inferior in density and color to the old stuff no longer available.

Jim, thanks for your comments, but I don't have an "S". According to my research, perlon is correct.

So, back to the question which was posed, does anyone have photos of how the front trunk carpet is correctly configured?

Thanks, again.

Maybe not the most useful, but these are the images I have that show where my carpet had glue.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

thanks JT912. it does help a little.

still hoping for a photo showing how it's supposed to look when done.

My car has the original 1968 carpets. The side carpets were glued like shown in the pictures above. The center carpet is reinforced/isolated additionally with a horse hair layer in the vertical part. I will post pictures tomorrow.
    BR
    Claudius

Did you try Brett Johnston's book for photos?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Here are some pictures, sping 1968 delivered 911S:
    Name:  20220701_124722.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  186.0 KB
    Name:  20220701_124939.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  137.4 KB
    Name:  20220701_124912.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  157.6 KB
    Name:  20220701_124849.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  134.8 KB
    Horse hair isolation on the vertical part of the center carpet piece towards the dashboard.

When I take a close look at the cutting pattern of your carpet shown in the pictures you posted above, I would say it is not the original layout. The battery should be cutted out at the center piece, also the brake fluid reservoir at the left side piece, the metal bridge for the trunk light contactor needs an incision in the carpet, the straps should be brown leather.

I hope it helps, sorry I couldn't take better pictures at the moment. Car is stored, garage fully parked and it is raining cats and dogs outside.
    BR
    Claudius

PS:
    I would recommend to fix the side pieces at the upper line with self adhasive velcro tape strips, about 3 inches long, fixed in between the fender screws. So you could remove the side parts easily.
    Last edited by 68S_SK2; 07-01-2022 at 06:24 AM. Reason: PS added

I need to offer a huge "thank you" to 68S_SK2 for his photos!

I've learned from this restoration that questions of provenance often result in informational 'rabbit holes' that lead to more questions on different minutia. Those sorts of 'rabbit holes' are multiplied when the car is manufactured at a turning point in the production process, such as the transition to a new model year, which #0001 clearly signifies. I've personally found dozens of Porsche-documented provenance transitions reflected in the Parts Manual, itself, including tiny differences in Parts Manual information depending upon the date of the specific section of the Manual being consulted.

In an effort to provide the Registry members with information, I need to add that I've been exploring multiple venues for historic information, and 68S_SK2 has indirectly affirmed another source of information. It appears that the pattern for the center piece of the trunk carpet actually changed during the model year, to be cut away at the battery box, rather than simply folded around the battery box. Since 68S_SK2's car was built in spring 1968, the cut away carpet would appear correct. At the same time, it is plausible (and even likely) that '68 #0001 could easily have retained the '67 carpet configuration, just as was verified by the Parts Manual for other items.

In an effort to bring this discussion full-circle, I'm going to open another thread topic requesting photos of the trunk carpet for a '67 Targa and see what might pop from the Registry members.

In the meantime, if '68 SWT owners have more to offer, I am very interested in seeing and hearing more information.

THANK YOU, friends and scholars!!!