Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Siffert Automobiles decals

Just awesome. Sure appreciate your efforts.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The thing with old decals/stickers is they were rarely perfect. They were hand-drawn back in the day. Line widths, spacing, uniformity, registration are generally off, sometimes by a lot. Mark and I have discussed this. I've done my share of imitating/reproducing artwork like this. One sure way to spot a reproduction decal is it is too perfect. Much like an overly-restored car, 'they never looked like this!'.

Hey Curt, those are all important things to consider... thanks a lot.

Another is the less-than-perfect photo on the red background was shot at an angle which fundamentally distorts how it would appear if you were viewing it from straight on.
    I did my best to correct that in Photoshop but its impossible to get it exact and there's no way to know what it should be. I can't say with certainty but this font doesn't look to me like a foundry example... I'd say its a one-off a designer came up with for Siffert when he began his dealership.

So just keep in mind that unless I can find a better example, this project will always be an inexact venture.

Even so, I'm still working it to make an improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 07-04-2022 at 02:58 PM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

The smaller decal that was on Seppi's 917 is so low resolution, I can only guess what it might look like.
    There's barely anything there you can work with.

My interpretation is the top line says only 'Siffert' in the white lettering with a black stroke.
    The bottom 2 lines are the same as the larger decal on the red background, only all black.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 07-07-2022 at 04:11 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Incredible work. Given the opportunity to ask, any way to make the black border on Siffert more “natural”/uneven? Looking forward to buying the finished decal, no matter how it turns out!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    . . . The smaller decal that was on Seppi's 917 is so low resolution, I can only guess what it might look like.
    There's barely anything there you can work with.

My interpretation is the top line says only 'Siffert' in the white lettering with a black stroke.
    The bottom 2 lines are the same as the larger decal on the red background, only all black
    . . .
    Now we're talking!

K --- here goes . . .

I believe your interpretation of the lettering is spot-on = Siffert | Automobiles | Freibourg

The lettering is highly stylized --- I could not find this font reproduced anywhere . . . so it's probably unique

The 'Siffert' on the top line looks mostly correct -- the lettering perhaps fractionally a bit fat . . . more noticeable in the white

The letters for 'Automobiles' + 'Freibourg' are IMO too thick --- perhaps a 50% . . . though the relative proportions look good, I think the lettering is even more compacted vertically

Anyway, very exciting to see your efforts on this --- great work!

Curious if there are any periodicals or other advertising from the period that show this

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-05-2022 at 06:06 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    The smaller decal that was on Seppi's 917
    Cool small decal Mark, luv it.
    Probably 'small' due to legal advertising rights and I'm sure a cheeky bit of fun.

Regards
    Mark

Yes, refining the black letters... will post update in a few days or less
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

I'm a buyer when done!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
    I'm a buyer when done!!!
    Count me in too!
    first ride - 10 yrs old in a 73 911S - Silver - I was done for
    Started 'playing' with them in the late 80s
    Started racing a 72 911 T built to 2.9L RSR in SoCal SCCA, PCA, POC early 90s
    Have owned over 50 long hoods from late 80s until 2000
    dropped out from 2000 - 2018 - due to life, work, travel
    Been building a 2.8 'RSR' inspired car since 2018 - 9111121235
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1121235-a.html