Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished my restoration of my 1968 911T Targa Polo Red with Recaro Sport seats

Just finished my restoration of my 1968 911T Targa Polo Red with Recaro Sport seats

I figured it was time to show off my restoration of my 1968 911T Targa.

It took me 5 years to complete, but was worth the wait.

Enjoy the Pics. The car will be going up on Bring a Trailer in the next few weeks.

The car was completely dismantled and put on a Rotisserie and it was media blasted to bare metal and then sealed using an epoxy primer. The car was repainted it original Polo Red, Paint Code 6802 and repainted using the correct Glasurit 22 paint line. The paint has cured and has been professionally polished and looks as good as new. The car has less than 5 miles on its complete restoration. The undercarriage and correct locations were re-undercoated using the correct Schutz gun and SKS stone guard by Wurth to get the correct texture. The paint and body work were done by a body shop which Primarily does Porsche and the Owner are Porsche Enthusiasts. The shop is Re-Union Autowerks in Oakland, CA. The Factory Halogen Euro Headlights and Tail Lights and Turn Signals were restored by John Audette who is well Know in the Porsche community.

The interior was also completely restored back to its original factory specifications by parts supplied by Autos International. The correct replacement Pepita for the Factory Recaro Sport Seats were sourced by Eric Linden of Auto-Foreign Services. According to the factory Certificate of Authenticity the car was originally ordered with only a Drivers (Left) Sport Seat. During the restoration, a correct 1968 Factory Recaro Sport seat and the correct tilting base was sourced to match the drivers seat and it was restored at the same time. Every single piece of the interior was restored down to the chrome Hickock Seat belts and even the glove box liner was reflocked. The seatbelts were dismantled and re-chromed and the hardware replated and new webbing installed. A well know trimmer, Roy Nielson who was the prior owner of Autos International lives locally and did the carpet and Seat installation etc. The interior has only been sat in a few times and looks as good as it would have in 1968.

The petal assembly and Shifter and e-brake/choke and heater lever assembly was dismantled, and media blasted and cerakoted and the proper parts were re-chomed. All of the bright work and chrome and trim and hardware for the car including door latches, and heater valved and chrome window Frames etc were restored by Shaun at Tru 6 . It all honestly looks better than new. Dave Brown restored the Targa Top and it has all new seals etc.

All of the lights, stereo etc all work. The car has a completely new wiring harness from Kroon in the Netherlands including all cables and grown straps etc. All of the brittle old wiring was removed and the correct replacement was installed. The car still retains its factory owners manual and Jack and complete tool kit.

Harvey Weidman of Wedman Wheels Restored all 5 correct 15” Fuchs and they are wrapped with the correct replacement Pirelli Cinturato 165HR15 sourced through Lucas Classic Tires.

The car is possibly a 1 of 1. ) I would like to hear what you all think. It was a 911T which was the base model, however it well optioned very well. It has factory Titling Recaro sport seat(s) with Pepita inserts, factory heated rear Targa window, It has its factory 5 Speed , and it came with the upgraded Halogen Headlights and the Forged light Alloy wheels (FUCHS). All are on the COA.

The car still retains its original 2.0L motor. The motor was rebuilt at 97,722 miles and it has 106,104 on it now which is around 8,382 on the rebuild. It was rebuilt to 911L spec using 911L Pistons and Barrels and upgraded Carrera chain tensioner kit. It has a new Flywheel and Sachs clutch and rebuilt Bosch Starter. Jerry Woods Enterprises rebuilt the original Marelli Magneti Distributor.It has all new Bosch plugs and Beru wires and new Marelli Cap and Rotor. It has SSI heat exchangers and an OEM Muffler which was Cerakoted. All the engine tin and air cleaner was powdercoated to match. Even the factory Fuel line that connects the Webber carbs was re-plated. The original Webber Carburetors were completely restored by Paul Abbot at performance oriented. Pacific Oil Coolers Boiled the factory Oil tank and cleaned it out and refurbished it. The motor has all new oil lines and fuel lines. PMB restored all of the calipers and it has all new pads, rotors, master cylinder and e-brake cables and shoes.

The car retains it original 5 Speed transmission which was completely gone through by Tom Anom from Mobil Works West which has 40+yrs experience with Porsches. The Transmission shifts like butter. Tom did most of the assembly of the suspension, brakes and motor and transmission. All of the suspension was refreshed and powdercoated. All of the suspension parts were supplied by Elephant Racing or Porsche classic in the case of the Koni shocks in the rear and Koni inserts for the Boge Struts in the front. The car has been completely detailed underneath and looks showroom.

The only modifications to the car is the addition of the correct Factory Recaro Passenger sport seat (The COA only was coded for the drivers side seat) and Carrera Chain Tensioners and 3 additional 911S gauges which were added. The 3 factory date coded 911T gauges which were removed.

Early 911S Registry Member #3767

Current:
    2010 GT3 Meteor Grey, Carbon Seats and Ceramic Brakes
    1968 911T Targa, Polo Red, Recaro Sport Seats, Deep Fuchs
    1972 911 ST Recreation (Work in Progress) 3.4L Hot Rod
    1983 911SC Bone Stock. Grand Prix White with Sport Seats

Looks awesome! Love the table of bolts. Thanks for sharing….
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Beautiful Looking car
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

congratulations
    nice build

Just OUTSTANDING Greg ... Congrats !!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Congrats! looks awesome. Well done.
    Last edited by PD Targa; 08-14-2022 at 05:29 AM.
    Peter D

1968 T Coupe RHD
    1973 E Targa RHD
    1972 E Coupe (sold)
    1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Early S Registry Member #2764
    TYP 901 Register #233

Hi Greg, first of all, congratulations on the car - you've certainly put a lot of effort into it over the past 5 years and also invested a lot (time and money). since you explicitly emphasize the great fidelity to the original and at the same time ask to write what one thinks, I assume that you are receptive to constructive criticism. so honest words about your recaro sports seats. unfortunately they didn't turn out very well. the transverse seams are much too concise. wrong perforation was used for the side pads. the seat has lost its typical shape overall (seams etc)- at least that's what it looks like in the pictures. this also applies to the headrest that can be seen. too bad, a good saddler could certainly have made more of it. As I said, please rate as constructive criticism. If you don't want that, please send me a message and I'll be happy to delete the post. ...

regards uwe

Yes, real nice looking job. Not to rain on your parade, but I hope you did most of the work yourself. I know what a restoration cost. If you plan to make a lot on a BAT auction, I am not sure where you will end up. Sounds like you did use 1st class subcontractors. Good luck, again, nice job.

Congratulations Greg, what a stunning result, now its time to enjoy driving it !

Regards from our whole team at Kroon Wire Harnesses.

Tremendous effort indeed. Someone will certainly get a lot of enjoyment out of it as it looks real nice & ready to go. And nothing like having a new wiring harness to boot!
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.