Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned from your hot rod build?

Lessons learned from your hot rod build?

Good morning. Hope everybody’s having a decent week so far.

I am working on acquiring a 1971 shell that will come to me as a roller, has RS flares on the rear already. I have a ready to run 3.2 L and a 915 gearbox waiting for a home and you can see how all this potential build started to come together.

I use my cars and I have a general rule of thumb that if I don’t look forward to driving it from Southern California to San Francisco and back on a road trip then action on it or I haven’t built the right thing for me. So another words very loud or too harsh or too high strung is personality a negative for me.

So with that in mind I was hoping to get some coaching from people that I’ve been there / done that to see what considerations I may not a thought of or ideas that people would be willing to pass along from their experiences before I get started.

One upfront question is would you leave the OEM fuel injection on the 3.2 L?

Thanks!

Tom - The Motronic fuel injection is pretty sublime. It just works. (usually) no muss, no fuss. Very good gas millage, easy to find parts. We call it the turn key motor because on the east coast, guys put their car away for the winter and then in the spring, turn the key and it runs. Take off the electric blower and backdate the heat if you want to "pretty up" the engine and it removes a couple pounds from the rear end. Heat still works great. Good luck with the build.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

Thanks Mark - appreciate the input. That should be plenty of engine in a 1971 so I am inclined to error on the side of usability and civility since the bump in HP/torque from stock anyway.

You may have to use big hammer to get the 915 box in a 71 chassis. If my old memory serves me the tunnel needs some modification

Quote Originally Posted by STEVES View Post
    You may have to use big hammer to get the 915 box in a 71 chassis. If my old memory serves me the tunnel needs some modification
    I believe you are correct - I will do some searching here for past discussions on that. I was thinking 915 since I have one and it should handle the 3.2L power without issue.

Thanks for the response.

Mount the transmission up with the 915 mount and a transmission jack on the back. Slowly jack it up and it will show you exactly where to hammer. It's really not that much or that bad. The 3.2 injection is just fine. It's heavy as hell but if it's working good then leave it alone unless you want to spend big bucks and put in ITB's for a better look, performance and to save weight. Or, you could put carbs on if you're a carb guy. Put a chip in the 3.2L if you keep the stock injection. Beef up the torsion bars and brakes. It never ends! Haha
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Mount the transmission up with the 915 mount and a transmission jack on the back. Slowly jack it up and it will show you exactly where to hammer. It's really not that much or that bad. The 3.2 injection is just fine. It's heavy as hell but if it's working good then leave it alone unless you want to spend big bucks and put in ITB's for a better look, performance and to save weight. Or, you could put carbs on if you're a carb guy. Put a chip in the 3.2L if you keep the stock injection. Beef up the torsion bars and brakes. It never ends! Haha
    Thanks! If this comes together will likely run the 3.2L as-is for awhile before doing anything else.

I have built this exact car before 71 chassis with a 915 and a 3.2 liter. Yes Leave the OEM Fuel Injection. You will or course need the wiring harness and the Computer. Longballa is correct..
    It really is not that much Hammering that needs to be done. One thing to remember is that you will need a Later Fuel tank... We also just completed this type of build on a 1969 911.
    Worked great. Enjoy. T
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Why do you need a later fuel tank? I'm interested to know since I'm dropping a 3.2/915 into my 67-912.

I just did the fitting for the 915 a couple days ago. I used an empty 915 case with the trans mount. The empty case was very light and easy to position. It required a couple hits with a hammer. Mostly high up on the left side since the 915 has a couple more bulges than the 901 trans. It was about a half hour of fitting (just to make sure) and 3 minutes of hammering. Just a slight bulge on the tunnel between the seats. Hard to notice if you didn't know where to look.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

Thanks for the on-going discussion.

I have a full wiring harness for the 3.2, will use a Steve Wong chip.

Curious on the fuel tank as well, maybe no return line on an earlier car?