Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned from your hot rod build?

I agree a 2.7RS is a fantastic engine with MFI. Expensive to build these days if you don't already have all the pieces though.
    72S, 72T now ST

I have a 2.7 RS engine complete... Just sitting on the shelf... If someone is interested... PM me
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Anyone with a T should drop their lump of magnesium and buy your engine. It is such a no-brainer to buy a complete RS engine and put it in a T (or 912, though it takes a little body work). You need the oil lines/cooler plus the stock S sway bars if they aren't on the car already, but the cost is nothing compared to difference in performance. Life is too short to drive slow cars, particularly expensive slow cars even if they look amazing.

I'm going for a drive.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

I totally agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    Anyone with a T should drop their lump of magnesium and buy your engine. It is such a no-brainer to buy a complete RS engine and put it in a T (or 912, though it takes a little body work). You need the oil lines/cooler plus the stock S sway bars if they aren't on the car already, but the cost is nothing compared to difference in performance. Life is too short to drive slow cars, particularly expensive slow cars even if they look amazing.

I'm going for a drive.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tdskip View Post
    Going to the experience of getting an ATV set up on one of the cars is definitely on the punch list of things I would like to do.
    Let's discuss that list...

I went with Recaro buckets on lowered seat mounts in my car, and I think the position is great for spirited driving. I'd definitely recommend a similar setup for a hot rod, but like Nick said, the seats aren't the easiest on the back.

I'd also +1 the 2.7 recommendation. Even if you don't go MFI, it's a blast (mine is RS pistons/cylinders, Webers, and an early S cam)!
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

GTS Classics has a lighter version of the Early sport seats and can make the padding wider so you sit more down in the seat. I never thought the Recaro Sport Seats were comfortable. It's the base of the sport seat that adds most of the weight to that seat. They do look good though. No matter what seat I'm in these days after a few hours I need to stop and stretch the legs.
    72S, 72T now ST

Agreed on the lowering bracket and ditching the double-locker for the driver’s seat. I love my deser sport seats, super-comfortable. I have needed to add padding to the side bolsters. I probably would order them in leather with hindsight. The RSR buckets are really nice, but my shoulders are above the headrests, which doesn’t feel safe. I wish Marek was making the new fiberglass buckets with taller backs. They would be awesome in leather and corduroy. The profi’s are also shockingly comfortable, and I’ve seen some really nice custom covers for them. I’ve done 3-4 hour drives in them without complaint. Though on the track I have to ride without cushions or else I don’t fit with the helmet (they are mounted on similar lowering brackets). Still very comfortable. The school bus seats sit in trash bags next to the lump of magnesium.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Thanks for opening this discussion, really interesting topic. I realised with the years that sometimes I built "what I had in mind" and then sold IT because I did not enjoyed it that much when using it, whereas built based on the planned use where much more successful. Doing a hot rod that can actually do well what you want to do with it (and not necessary what you think you like it to be) might be the best approach..

Antoine

My advise: Be honest on the intended use; touring or track, (sometimes a hotrod can be overkill for what it ends up being used for, dialing in the steering and suspension is just as critical if not more than hitting the dyno, and last but not least.....pay once cry once. Invest in good quality parts (tons of great resources on this forum) and be selective on "genuine" Porsche parts. Buy the good stuff and seek for better alternatives elsewhere when the good stuff isn't good enough. Hotrods are a blank canvas, which is what makes them fun and that's really the best part.

1968 912-6 TR inspired hotrod, affectionately known as 3PP Build 1:

Name:  IMGP2307.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  62.3 KB
    Name:  DSC09187.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  139.3 KB
    Name:  IMGP2313 2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  122.7 KB
    Name:  IMGP2374.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  81.9 KB
    Last edited by beetle08; 08-11-2022 at 08:38 AM.
    Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 912-6 TR Tribute
    1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S
    1991 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 3.8

"if you see a fork in the road, PICK IT UP!"