Thread: Recommendation Request: Starter for 73 911

Recommendation Request: Starter for 73 911

Would appreciate recommendations for replacement starter alternatives for 73 911. Options seem to be one from Porsche that is very expensive (I assume is a Bosch), a rebuilt Bosch, or a new gear-reduction high-torque starter. Not clear about tradeoffs. Have seen negative comments about rebuilt Bosch and they seem to have issues at high temperatures. High-torque alternatives are lighter seem reliable but some negative comments about their sound. Any other alternatives, tradeoff issues, brand recommendations, or opinions?

What is the expected life for a starter? Mine is now 49 years old. Just starting to have some issues but hasn’t failed.

Thanks,
    Jim
    1973 911E Targa
    Firemist Cognac

Just replaced my starter with a high torque. Yes, sounds a bit different, but miles better (and cheaper). I’d encourage getting a high torque, sticking it in, and rebuilding the original as a side project. Never a bad thing to have a spare starter motor sitting on the shelf, and the high torque ones are relatively cheap.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

The best bet is the 1.5 H.P. Bosch starter optional for cold climates, the rebuilt number is SR68X. Yours is a .75 H.P. starter, or SR 17X Bosch rebuild number. We use the 1.5 here in the hot climate because it pretty well eliminates hot start problems assuming rest of system is good. The reduction starters work well, (yes, they sound different) but may require some rebending of cables since their terminals are at a slightly different clocking. There occasionally are some quality control issues with genuine Bosch rebuilds, all depends which tent they're done in. German made doesn't exist anymore. Our best luck is with a local rebuilder, but there is significant wait time. Anyone doing good work is well booked.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm not necessarily for or against either the Bosch re-manufactured or the high-torque starters out there but for myself, I wanted to stick with original stuff for my '73 so I went with the remanufactured Bosch unit. Ordered it from FCP Euro. First one I got lasted about 2 weeks and then it died. Sent it back to FCP and they replaced without issues. As edmayo mentioned above, occasionally you get a bad one. After several months, the replacement is working well. Good luck!

Our local automotive battery shop rebuilds starters and alternators in a day or two for $75-125 depending on parts needed. Call around. It’s always preferable to rebuild your own parts so you know they will fit perfectly.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.