Thread: non start 72 911T stock ignition

non start 72 911T stock ignition

I have a new battery & engine cranks well.
    There is 12v to all 3 fuses in engine compartment

Removing the plug to the CD, I have 12v to terminal B

replugging connector, I have zero volts at coil terminal 15

is there any way to test the CD for a home mechanic with only a volt meter to test

Just test it for spark. You didn't say whether you know it is ,,,or isn't getting spark. Remove the high tension lead from the center of the distributor cap, lay it up next to the coil mount (it will nicely wedge into place with the end about an 1/8th" from ground)
    Take off distributor cap, rotate the engine with pulley wrench until the points are closed, turn on ignition, using a long thin screwdriver use the tip to open and close points letting the shank ground to the distributor shaft. You should get a fat spark jumping from the coil wire to ground. This eliminates the points, so likely have either a bad CD box or coil. To test coil disconnect both wires, measure resistance across term. 1 and 15, should be .4 to .6 ohms. Now measure from term 4 to term. 1 should be 650 to 790 ohms. Has ANYTHING been done to the car that preceded this problem? This been a daily driver or a 15 year barn find you're trying to get running?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, if you got a buck for every bit of logical advice you give you would be a ? ( I recon you would still do what you do and thank's)
    Mark

Had been running and stopped due to bad battery, got jumped and ran 5 or 6 miles and died. no help from battery pack

I have hooked up a timing light and had no flash from that. I will check your way

checked the coil, .4 ohms 1 to 15, open center to 1 using digitol VOM, about 8K ohms using an analog VOM

I will try a new coil

Pelicon has 2 coils for CD ignition. Is there a recomendation between the 2? both Bosch, Porsche coil has the P-tax

I don't know what Pelican is selling,,,,probably neither is as good as original. What is the link?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Other than the part number suffix difference they're probably the same coil, both are Brazilian made Bosch which already have a bad reputation. I would get the cheaper one, put it on and see if that gets you spark. If it does start looking for an original Bosch black coil. You should be able to get one from people throwing theirs away to put on MSD's. Put the good old black one on and keep the new silver one as a travel spare.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, thanks for your help and advice