Thread: Rear Main Seal In Too Far?

Rear Main Seal In Too Far?

Just sealed up the case on a rebuild on my 73 911T, and I think my only mistake I know of is that I forget to set the RMS .5mm proud of the case. In fact it's about 2.73mm inside the outermost lip of the case. So 3.2mm too far in vs spec. I installed dry on the OD and oil on the ID. I have read every thread and can't come up with reason to replace it, other than there must be a reason for the .5mm spec. Leave it alone or replace? It's the RMS that comes with the Wrightwood Racing Kit. Don't mind the time or cost to replace, but is there a reason? thanksName:  IMG_1372.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  100.4 KB
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

If it is in evenly , I think leave it . I've seen numerous this way with no issues .

That's where I was leaning. Then last night I remembered I should check the pics below I took before closing to see if maybe the back of the RMS rubs on the crank shaft. Looks close, I wonder does anyone have an open case and RMS laying around to see how much the RMS can be recessed before rubbing the flange on the crank, or maybe the ID of the seal is bigger than the crank flange so it can't rub?

The pic is right before spreading out the 574 with a brush. thanks!Name:  IMG_1367.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  131.9 KB
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

I did the exact same thing when I resealed my 2.7 two summers ago. Still leaks from the rear but I have not pulled the engine to see if the RMS is leaking. Hopefully following this thread will answer my questions.

Anyone know the OD of the flange on the crank that would be butting up against the back of the RMS? I am hoping to compare that to the ID of another RMS that I have to see if the RMS would be rubbing against that crank flange or if the crank flange would sit inside the lip of the RMS without rubbing. thanks!
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K