Thread: Need key for glove box lock

Need key for glove box lock

Is there any source for getting a key cut for a glove box lock, that has no keys?

Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Dunville
    • 1968 911S Targa Softwindow
    • 2002 996 Carrera

S Registry Member #2247

Can you open the glove box or is it locked. If open, you could remove the lock and take it to a locksmith and have them "adjust" the glove box tumblers ....

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Tony Euganeo is the man.

http://lockandkeyid.com/
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

I successfully rekeyed a lock by pulling out the lock cylinder and playing with the spacers (whatever the fancy name is for these things escapes me right now. Fingers? Leaves? Tumblers? Shims?). There is a pretty good tutorial on the Pelican technical article site. It's basically trial and error and maybe a little bit of filing. Different size spacers are available for purchase but in my case I was just able to move the existing ones around and make it work. This all assumes a 68 and a 73 have the same basic lock setup.

You also have the option of buying a matched key/cylinder combo, but then you will have a key that won't work for the doors or ignition, and that's useless. I think your best option is just to have a black key and red key that work in all the locks, including the glove box.

There may be a way to recreate the valet effect where only the black key can open the glove box, but I think you would need a locksmith for that. My guess is that the glove box contains an extra spacer in it compared to the other lock cylinders. I'm assuming you just have the red key that can't be used in the glove box. You would have to take that key, copy it to a blank black one, cut it in the appropriate extra spot and then find a spacer that worked. Then that key should work for everything else, plus have the extra special notch to open the glove box as well. Hope this all makes sense. It barely does to me!
    Jeff Jensen

The name was bugging me so I had to go look. The tech article on the Pelican site calls them "tumbler pins". Here's a link to the how-to article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...y/76-Rekey.htm

Good luck!
    Jeff Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    Tony Euganeo is the man.

http://lockandkeyid.com/
    +1
    I sent my glovebox lock back to him for my 68 and he made two keys for it and sent it back to me. I don't remember how much it was, but I remember thinking that it was cheap. The glovebox locks are unique unto themselves and not any lock smith can re-key one. Ask me how I know...
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 12-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.

If anyone is looking for a place in Los Angeles South Bay:

Old Towne Lock & Key
    19800 Hawthorne Blvd, Ste 414
    Torrance, CA 90503
    (310) 371-6629

It is located in the BACK of the strip mall at that address. You go between buildings to the back side where you expect the delivery trucks to go, and there it is. Hard as heck to find the first time. The owner is a Porsche guy and he keyed my glovebox to my ignition key for $40. He also has blanks for early car keys so I got a few duplicates made too.

Highly recommended. Robert at Dutch Treat sent me there.

John

Can one key work for the ignition, both doors, the glove box and the front hood?
    '67 911 SWT - 500634

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ123 View Post
    Can one key work for the ignition, both doors, the glove box and the front hood?
    Doors & ignition, glove box, hood. Three different keys.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/