Thread: 1973 911T Front Bumper removal

1973 911T Front Bumper removal

First time posting. I recently purchased a 73T and my first DIY will b e to swap out the front bumper for the S version. A few questions:

1. Would the OEM S bumper fit? Suncoast has an OEM S bumper but they can't tell me for sure if it will fit a T. I'm assuming it given it was an option back in the day. A dansk aftermarket specially states it will. The OEM is 1500 and the Dansk is 1300 so though tot go OEM. If there is better option aftermarket please let me know.

2. Would the black molding on my stock T bumper fit the S? I know the S is thinker but I actually prefer the narrow.

3. Lastly and most importantly and guidance or tip on how to remove the bumper would be great.

Thanks.

I did it on my 72 T - yes it will absolutely fit, the body is identical and it was an option as you said. No clue about aftermarket fitment but if you can swing OEM why not.
    The molding - I'm no expert but I thought the thinner molding was on earlier cars and the thick one was for later ones, either way I reused the thick molding from my T onto the S bumper - Actually I reused the aluminum trim part and had a lot of fun (not) inserting a fresh new rubber trim as mine was hardened by age and dented by overriders.
    Removal: I don't recall the exact procedure but found it here - I believe bolts on each corner undone from the wheel openings, and 2 in the center accessed from inside the trunk, disconnect any fog lights if present, and pull out...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Greg D.; 08-26-2022 at 01:37 PM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

to add to Gregg's notes; besides the bolts at the bumper ends as he mentioned, there are two on each side right in front of the battery boxes. Once the bumper is off you can remove the uprights, but you'll need RIBE socket,,,not Allen and not Torqx. All the trim is interchangeable. T's could have thicker S trim as an option.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.