Thread: non start 72 911T stock ignition

non start 72 911T stock ignition

I still have a no start condition. Since the last time I asked a question here, I have replaced a very dead battery, replaced the coil and had the CDI repaired, which had a lot of problems. The engine cranks fine, fuel is getting to the engine.

The CDI does not whine and I do not have 12v to the coil. 12v is supplied to the CDI from the 14 pin connector. Then CDI supplies the coil 12v. Coming from the 14 pin connector, power is also supplied to the 3 fuse panel fuses. I have 12v to all 3 engine compartment fuses as well as fuses 6/7 in the frunk.

do I need to open the wiring loom to trace the 12v?

Quote Originally Posted by 72t4tom View Post
    I still have a no start condition. Since the last time I asked a question here, I have replaced a very dead battery, replaced the coil and had the CDI repaired, which had a lot of problems. The engine cranks fine, fuel is getting to the engine.

The CDI does not whine and I do not have 12v to the coil. 12v is supplied to the CDI from the 14 pin connector. Then CDI supplies the coil 12v. Coming from the 14 pin connector, power is also supplied to the 3 fuse panel fuses. I have 12v to all 3 engine compartment fuses as well as fuses 6/7 in the frunk.

do I need to open the wiring loom to trace the 12v?
    Check the points! The rub bar wears and they close up!

In electrical order.
    Car in neutral…
    Key on
    Makes 12v at center terminal of 3 pin cdi
    Then check the points as recommended.
    ( a rusty distributor shaft will sand the rub tabs in just days)
    Watch the shaft turn and watch the points open and close with a good flashlight or these fabulous new LED headlamps.

Later, If you have key on, wrench turn the fan, and watch the points again, I think you see a spark, down at the points.
    Later, wrench turn fan, clockwise, from coil center wire, touch to ground, see a spark.
    ( electrically, this is power before the points)(it just helps you see if power is even getting to the points)

Later, And the simple, put a 7th spark plug on a pulled wire, someone turns key, see if you get spark, as you touch a plug to ground.

(If you took the distributor out, it’s easy to get the distributor shaft gears a notch or two off)

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

OK, the points are opening & closing. there is no spark at the points or at a spark plug
    What do I check for next?
    TYIA

member #1515
    Is your CDI getting power?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs