Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear parcel shelf trim

Rear parcel shelf trim

Hi!
    I’m having a go at my targa’s interior and I’m really struggling to get the screws out of the rear parcel shelf trim! I tried with a small screwdriver but am afraid that I’m starting to strip the screw.
    I did NOT use any WD40 as I didn’t want to create a mess on the interior… Any tips would be so appreciated!
    Name:  45967EA1-0C9A-4D0E-B135-73CF955CC6FA.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  81.7 KB

They make small ratcheting screw drivers that take a variety of hex head bits. They operate at a 90 degree angle. I used that for mine and fooled with the bit sizes until I found a very snug fit.
    1969 911 E #824

This type of unit works wellName:  37FF13FC-EF08-4608-AA23-C024F6D4A75B.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  58.4 KB
    1969 911 E #824

[QUOTE=camarilla;1135010]Hi!
    I’m having a go at my targa’s interior and I’m really struggling to get the screws out of the rear parcel shelf trim! I tried with a small screwdriver but am afraid that I’m starting to strip the screw.
    I did NOT use any WD40 as I didn’t want to create a mess on the interior… Any tips would be so appreciated!

Had the same issue on same model. Two came out...two broke off.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by xpensivewino View Post
    This type of unit works wellName:  37FF13FC-EF08-4608-AA23-C024F6D4A75B.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  58.4 KB
    Yep, that’s what I thought, thanks. Of course I left this tool in my storage unit… d’oh!

member #1515
    From the engine compartment squirt some pbblaster into the threads, you will have to pull the insulation down to access.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

[QUOTE=Simonjjb;1135055]
    Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    Hi!

Had the same issue on same model. Two came out...two broke off.
    Ouch. How did you end up getting those out?

Thanks for the tip Re pb blaster - I’ll try the 90 screw driver first and see from there then…

Drilled one out successfully - but I had the rear window out. The other is still a work in progress...
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post
    Drilled one out successfully - but I had the rear window out. The other is still a work in progress...
    Oh dear I hope it won’t come to that

going from engine compartment will not get you there.
    the screws are attached to a raised bracket.
    for quick reference go to bring a trailer and pull up a Targa and look thru the posting of the cars build.
    you will see the rear parcel without upholstery.