Thread: Porsche Owners Club badge

Porsche Owners Club badge

Any knowledgeable folk out there that know the Porsche owners club badge?

There appears to be a few variants and I was wondering what would show a genuine version? All of the black text badges I have seen have the rear stamping (Made in England) but only some of the yellow have the rear stamping.

Black text:

Yellow text:

Rear stamping:

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
    Ralph
    1970 911E
    Instagram @ralph.k.w
    Early S Registry #2728

Subscribed
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

This one currently for sale on Ebay has no rear stamping and smooth edges on the square outline.

I would guess that this is a knock-off?

Ralph
    1970 911E
    Instagram @ralph.k.w
    Early S Registry #2728

Subscribed
    ------------------------------------------------
    1971 911T/2.45 engine spec Coupe / Gold Metallic on Black
    1995 911 C2 / Guards Red on Cashmere Beige (Sold)

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    The badges with black lettering and with the Wiiem. B Haan, Made in England, Marples & Beasley, Birmingham inscription are the genuine ones. I have a few of these badges.
    The others are knock-offs.
    Wilem B Haan as many will know, owned a Sports car accessories shop on Santa Monica Blvd back in the late 50s and 60s.
    He was instrumental in designing this POC grille badge, and asked Michael Hammond (Hamlain Ltd) to produce it. Michael subsequently chose Marples and Beasley Badgemakers in the UK because of their high quality cloisonné work.
    In the 80’s, when Porsche began filing lawsuits against anyone using their trademarks, POC were forced to re-design their badge.
    The knowledge of & interest in the badge “faded” until Magnus Walker featured one on his 964 creation at the 2015 LA Motor Show, which appeared to bring it back to Porsche enthusiasts’ consciousness. Name:  983E1BCE-0FCD-4D88-980D-252B1D352244.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  106.1 KB
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Thanks for replying.

Do you think that the badges with yellow writing but also have the rear stamping are knock-off too?
    Ralph
    1970 911E
    Instagram @ralph.k.w
    Early S Registry #2728

From the World Wide Web:

more porsche owners club items

5/17/2019

I am fortunate to now own a grill badge and decal that match the PORSCHE Owners Club banner shown a few days earlier. These are definitely going on my car!!!
    Picture
    Picture
    Below is a copy/paste of the comment by Alex Mestas from when I posted the photo of the banner.
    This is a UNIQUE badge with a very interesting background. Please read on!

An original POC (Porsche Owners Club) badge, as fitted to POC members’ Porsche 356 & 911 sportscars' engine grilles in the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's.

Designed by Wilem B. Haan, a well-known & respected Porsche enthusiast who sold aftermarket accessories for Porsche cars in the 1950’s - 1960's from his racing speciality shop in Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles.

In conjunction with well-known racing driver & Porsche dealership salesman, Michael Hammond of Manhattan Beach, CA, the design was refined and through his contacts, Michael had the badge commissioned to be made by the famous Marples & Beasley Badgemakers in England, as the cloisonné finish they desired could only be produced in Europe.

Michael (Hammond) therefore became the official distributor/supplier of the badge to POC.

Stamped on the reverse side of the badge is:

WILEM . B HAAN INC

MADE IN ENGLAND

Marples & Beasley

Birmingham

As a result of Porsche’s legal challenge launched world-wide in the 1980’s to protect the many Porsche trademarks, these badges were ultimately discontinued under threat of litigation and were no longer available as they used the Porsche trademarked crest.

POC subsequently went on to re-design their badge with a more sedate Stars & Stripes theme, devoid of any Porsche trademark cues.

Fast-forward to the present, at the 2016 LA Motor Show, Magnus Walker of Urban Outlaw fame displayed his Porsche 964 Outlaw at the Pirelli stand. Adorning his uniquely-modified rear spoiler was the same POC badge - generating and revitalising enormous interest in its origin & provenance within both the older-established and the newest generation of Porsche enthusiasts alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    This one currently for sale on Ebay has no rear stamping and smooth edges on the square outline.

Just a guess…POC Japan?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I remember that one club/organization (can’t remember which one) was selling these reproductions at the All Porsche Swap Meet. They were well made, but I don’t remember seeing the markings/makers mark on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post

1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow