Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of leaving Early 911S for 997/991

All valid points. The water cooled versions are extremely capable, highway cruisers in a tempered hvac cabin. While you're at it why not a PDK? A bit remote and a lack of drama compared to a long hood.
    But take that long hood on a two lane, country road at 40 to 60+ mph ....

I am about to take a water cooled plunge. Probably way too much. Something lost and something gained.

Wonderful Paris Picture.

As a side SWB note we were cruising up the West Coast in our tatty 66 and pulled up to The Drake Hotel in SF during rush hour Friday traffic. Before the uniformed doorman could reach us we were over run by a camera snapping, Japanese tour group.
    Felt like McQ for an instant until we found out we were at the wrong hotel...

For a spirited drive on a good road, the early 911s are the best, no doubt about it. Each subsequent generation/version is a balance between comfort, character, speed with some hitting the mark more than others.

For me the reason to buy a 996 Carrera some three years ago was that I really missed my Targa in the winter months (salt on the road from Dec-March here) and wanted something more fun to drive than our family car. The takeaway is that there are many situations where a longhood simply doesn't work and a more modern 911 does, so it makes otherwise ordinary drives and life in general more interesting. That's why I suggested to the OP to consider two 911s.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Just got a 1973 2.4T one month ago to live side by side with my 993 C2 Tiptronic. I've always felt that the Tip was that thing separating my 993 from being perfect, but ever since I got the 2.4 it just became the perfect daily driver for me. It's fun, comfortable and beautiful. Tough compared to a modern SUV? Of course, but when I drive it after a day on the Longhood, it just feels like a limousine

Right now, these will be me two cars forever if I can afford to keep them and pass them on to my son.

I agree to the original poster and bought 5 years ago a ..997 gen1, next to my 71T i bought in 2005. I missed driving a 911 when my early needs storage or i cant do long distance travel and never worry, just using the 911.

I love that car and it does everything a longhood does too except, driving with kids (i have 2) above age 12 is impossible in a 997 too..as they wont fit comfortable anymore in size, its essentially a 2 passenger car. Used the 911T for summer trips with the family on numerous occasions but still, its an old car and some things can do modern ones better or, in terms of 911’s generations, with just as fun.

Luggage space is ample with 2 luggages hard-case stacked above up front (i got 2 fitted ones) and once i fold down the rear seats, there is a huge luggage space too in the rear.

The car is fast, ultra reliable (every 2 years a service at Porsche dealer, thats it), quiet and smooth…of course one cant compare a 50+ year car conceived in the early 1960ies with a modern 911 developed in the mid 1990ies. Has A/C (mine w sunroof), has 8 airbags all around and plenty of safety, is luxurious and has elegant looks and the 997.1 is still equipped with a manually aspirated engine (except Turbo..) and what is essentially an analog car. It can go daily in town and happy on all highways but ultra fast if asked (180mph /290 km/h.tested max. speed on a German autobahn, just for trying) just get a manual as the automatic tiptronic on 997.1 is not a fun to drive and 6-gear manual is prefered, both Carrera and Carrera S are fine.

Some prefer the 997.2 over the 997.1 but gen1 i love for pure design and accessible price, its still a steal to get today a high-performance car for a fraction of its sale price tag.

I also drove a 991 what is essentially a bigger 911 w a fat rear and a much more modern car, power is almost removed from the driving experience..The 997 however nimble and its size still close to the aircooled 911‘s….the 991 is more a GT, imho.

Feels like a futur classic already and it will hold its value, prices go up already.
    I simply love the 997, its looks, power, its appeal and being a true 911.

Name:  BD23CDD7-4C1C-413D-80DB-4110CA9F2341.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  110.2 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-03-2022 at 11:34 AM.
    Registry member No.773

I tend to agree with Karim's post above, but went the 991 route and absolutely love the car. My best friend has a bevy of 997s (S, GTS, GT3, GT3RS) so I'm around those cars all the time too. All 911s are two seaters essentially, as my now 9 year old reminds me as his knees begin to bump into the back of my seat back. But he's in a full three point seat belt back there...

The heritage 911 DNA is still there, whether 997 or 991, but make no mistake they are modern cars, capable of 0-100 in 9 seconds and top speeds of 190mph. You are illegal very quickly in these things.

To the OP: owning an early 911 in the swampy Mid Atlantic/Southeast US is very difficult without A/C. When I look at the rest of your points, it seems like you may be done with the older car thing and that's okay.

For me, leaving behind the early 911, I was losing access to good mechanics as they retire and was becoming overly concerned with driving it, parking, and what would I do if it needed something major done. I traded to a more insulated but very capable driving experience that is safe and so much fun in its own ways.

I am still very connected to the brand and have learned to "get" the modern Porsche more with the 991 experience under my belt. I still love the early cars though.

Name:  IMG_3516.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  128.1 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

These are all really helpful perspectives everyone, and thanks for all the great photos. Thanks also for reminding me that in less that five years my kids will probably outgrow the back seats of any 911.

I just came back from driving a manual 7spd 991 and have determined it is not the car for me. On the way up to redline, I kept wondering, "When does the Porsche thing happen?" I felt a little extra shove from variable intake or maybe cam timing around 6000, but nothing special from the Sports Exhaust, and nothing like the intense full-body crescendo of my car from 4000-6000. And as far as handling, I'm sure it has better skidpad numbers on paper, but it felt like an SUV compared to a narrow body.

Also, I would miss this view too much.
    Name:  IMG_8826 2 Medium.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  73.0 KB
    1966 911 coupe, Granite Green

Beautiful ....
    would make a great calendar photo
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

That's a beautiful color!

+1 you can never have enough

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    For a spirited drive on a good road, the early 911s are the best, no doubt about it. Each subsequent generation/version is a balance between comfort, character, speed with some hitting the mark more than others.

For me the reason to buy a 996 Carrera some three years ago was that I really missed my Targa in the winter months (salt on the road from Dec-March here) and wanted something more fun to drive than our family car. The takeaway is that there are many situations where a longhood simply doesn't work and a more modern 911 does, so it makes otherwise ordinary drives and life in general more interesting. That's why I suggested to the OP to consider two 911s.
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

A different strategy to re-imagine your 66, is an older sedan for trips, but then a primitive car added to the lineup. Not mine, but have always liked the Tr3 with handling, build quality on the clunkier side.. in theory would make your 911 feel a lot crisper.

Name:  Tr3a.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  54.3 KB