Thread: Tire options for 16x7+8 Fuchs & RS flares

Tire options for 16x7+8 Fuchs & RS flares

I need new tires (rears are corded) and am finding that the Advan A048s that I currently have are no longer available. I have 225/50-16 in back and 195/50-16 in front I think (they didn't offer the 205 any more). There are several options out there but I'm wondering what people are using on their 911s. I'm leaning towards the A052 since it has plenty of sizes and is a bit lighter than other options, but I see that Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Falken have options that are rated highly. I think I can go wider in the back depending on the brand but the front I know rubbed a bit on my fiberglass fenders (I think it was the bumper actually) when I ran 205/55-16 A048s. I can sand them down a bit to suit and it seems like I could run 225s on the front pretty easily depending on the brand. That would help a bit with the availability.

Anyone use the Falken RT660 or RT615K+? What about the Dunlop Direzza ZIII or Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS? I'd go Toyo R888 but they only have the 225.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

P7's. Great tires and the right look.
    72S, 72T now ST

member #1515
    P7' are horrible in the rain, aquaplane prone. RE71 is the way to go, decent in the rain, not great when it gets cold.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Ok, so how often in So Cal will he be driving in the rain??
    72S, 72T now ST

member #1515
    Not much, depends on budget too P7’s are quite a bit more expensive
    David

I have AO52 Yoko's on my 87 and they're great but I do love the look of P7's and yes they are spendy.
    72S, 72T now ST

Tires...

From Outside the Box:...Why don't you check out Kuhmo's?....while you evaluate and consider the usual "boutique"-brands you can try Kuhmo Ecsta 4XII KU22's for less than $500.00 for all 4 tires mounted + balanced ....Yes, the pattern is not very "sexy" and you can have "Pep Boys"...(Yes, you heard right)..do the install etc,etc...they have a special where you buy 3 and get 4...lol...make sure it is a "larger" more equipped place and ask them if they honor the special deal, also occasionally the tech is taking your order as well so you can talk to the "tire-tech" to make sure they have the "magic" touch... I just got a second set for my street car(s) with nice alu-rims and you'll be surprised how well they work even on "spirited" drives....PepBoys have restructured their business model and are concentrating on service and tires...no "shampoo and pine aroma"-sales anymore...and if you don't like them, it's not the end of the world...besides, they are probably better than your corded rears...and it gives you some "thinking time" to figure out what you really want...just a thought.../ Lars...

P.S... Remember, Bjorn Waldegard drove on "Sears White Walls"...
    Last edited by larwik; 10-14-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

member #1515
    I don't see the right sizes in Kumho. Firestone Indy 500 is the old Bridgestone model i used to use comes in 205/55 r16 91w and 225/50r16 92w, a great tire foe 575.96 total for all four on tire rack.
    David

That's a good point, Lars. I'm not a good enough driver to make full use of the high performance tires, and I'm sure Bjorn Waldegaard would beat me on those Sears White Walls no matter what I had.

That said, I tried to get the A052s (sounded like slightly better performance, plus they were lighter, and supposed to be a bit quieter), however they are on backorder and I am way down the list according to Tire Rack. So, I cancelled and ordered the Bridgestones since I've had several people recommend them. Planning to take them to Porsche Woodland Hills to get mounted since I've seen how much tire machines can mess up rims with my Subaru and I've heard the dealer will treat the rims right. I would use R Compound USA like Chuck but Whittier is a long way from me- the gas money would probably make it a wash. :/
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425