Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory build sheet from Stuttgart?

Factory build sheet from Stuttgart?

Hi all,
    Our early build 67S May have some extra options that originally came with the car that wasn’t on the Kardex or COA, eg frog-eye lights, LSD, etc. someone had mentioned that we can go to Porsche Stuttgart archival dept, show them our Kardex and ask if there’s a a factory build sheet for our car because we suspect there’s some options on our car that may be original but not on Kardex but like to verify.
    Anyone knows if Porsche HQ still do that?
    Thanks.

Good luck with that. Several years ago I wrote to the Archive with my Kardex and proof of ownership to see if they could tell me anything else about the car (1966 normal) and all they could tell me was that the Kardex matched their records and nothing else ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by muzeon View Post
    Hi all,
    Our early build 67S May have some extra options that originally came with the car that wasn’t on the Kardex or COA, eg frog-eye lights, LSD, etc. someone had mentioned that we can go to Porsche Stuttgart archival dept, show them our Kardex and ask if there’s a a factory build sheet for our car because we suspect there’s some options on our car that may be original but not on Kardex but like to verify.
    Anyone knows if Porsche HQ still do that?
    Thanks.
    Post your Kardex.. While I believe COAs translated from Kardex and fiche can be riddled with errors, I highly doubt the Kardex itself would be missing several options. That's how Porsche could prove the build of the car for warranty claims.

What lends you to the belief that the options might be original? How many owners down the line are you? How much documentation including visual do you have and how back does it go?

Dealers could add anything they chose theoretically after taking delivery and sure, that would be "as bought" but, not factory, yeah? That's when the sales invoice comes in handy or from day one photo documentation.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Attached is the Kardex. Ownership history besides the original Kardex owner who ran the parts factory who supplied Porsche some parts, in 1970 it came stateside. The 3rd owner who knew the car since 1976, said it had factory wiring to the hood with frog eyes lights, coaxial cable in the ceiling liner, LSD. Had suspected it was original and possibly installed a few days after receiving the car. So either at the factory or dealer installed?
    Our car has been restored and the hood lights, etc aren’t on car anymore.
    Could be a wild hope the factory has another separate build sheet for items installed at factory after the sale, but sounds like if it was a dealer installed and without original receipts we’ll not know.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by muzeon View Post
    Had suspected it was original and possibly installed a few days after receiving the car. So either at the factory or dealer installed?
    There are two large charges on the Kardex, in Sept '66 for DM 159,94 and in Jan '67 for DM 175,26. The first was shortly after delivery.
    These might have involved added options, processed on separate work orders and invoices.

Bauer & Schaurte was a major hardware manufacturer and supplier, and likely had a special relationship with Porsche.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

that looks like a very nice car, silver with leather Rosanil 443, FL keyset and on Dunlops..
    Rear wiper - is it still attached to it? might we get some detail shots on it?,
    outside thermometer - I can get this repaired for you if it is no longer working

but I do not see a LSD or else you mention …also the warrenty repairs are just what they are - we would need to see these warrenty applicant forms, in order to see the specific failures…

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

VIN Reference = 305809S

Good to see your car again.

Earlier appearance…

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...911S-Twin-Plug

How’s it looking today?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Car was at Luft this past weekend...

Name:  IMG_7446.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  169.8 KB

In my experience, copying data from 2000 Kardex, that Kardex is well filled out, but I think two items are missing at a minimum. The Kardex shows lautsprecher (loudspeaker) but does not show antenne or Motorentstörung (antenna or motor interference suppression); these three usually go together but one or another may be missing and assumed. Sunroofs can be another missing item although it is a major item and should be listed. The coaxial cable in the ceiling liner, whatever is that for? The frog eye lights I do not believe were available as a factory installed option, but if so would love to learn the option #. There are certain cars for special owners like this which receive special treatment such as in the special wishes department of the period. Here the added items could have been installed. I do not think the LSD was factory installed during production, but it could have been, and just missed.
    Remember, the Kardex is a warranty document that just mirrors much of the data in the production documents. There is the Reutter book that lists paint, interior, date of delivery and key codes. There is the production book that lists engine #, trans #, completion date, factory installed radio and gas fill. There must be a book or file with the installed options that I am not aware of. We know that for the 1970's cars there are Fahrzeug-Auftrag (vehicle order) papers that accompany the car down the production line and detail everything that has to be done or installed. How early this started I do not know, however, since most (all?) cars were built to order I would assume that an F-A of some sort must have been used from the beginning. How many of these documents are in the Factory archive? I know that not all documents survived and there are some missing Kardex at least. Further, there are many instances of Kardex that are blank (except for the VIN) or may just have engine and/or trans #'s. I know that in many cases the Kardex are missing options. These are primarily in the 356 days when Hoffman was the importer and the Kardex were not filled in properly. Cars imported into the USA would have sealed beam headlights, speedos in miles and instruments in English; later they would also have USA version bumpers. Not all of these were listed on the Kardex consistently. Other errors on the Kardex are known to me such as incorrect paint code (a Speedster that was verified by the Reutter book), and an obvious error on a 912 where the engine # was the transmission # (listed twice). Kardex are not infallible and are only as good as the clerk assigned to copy the data onto them, and the data provided for the task. I also have a lot of data on the 1973 RS from various sources that I have entered into a spreadsheet. I usually sort the data by engine or trans or paint and so on, then look for duplicates and missing numbers. I found lots of errors that way. Most I was able to correct but need help from someone with a Konradsheim RS book to check a few things.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    …also the warrenty repairs are just what they are - we would need to see these warrenty applicant forms, in order to see the specific failures…

br
    haul

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, and Jon B good catch on the 2 higher costs on warranty lines, we’ve never noticed before!

And haul, thanks it’s a special car for us too. what’s FL key set? curious the warranty forms, is this something the factory have or the dealer? Appreciate the offer re: thermometer, it still works great! The rear wiper according to the 3/4th owner when car was brought to stateside rear wipers, hood lights, etc weren’t on car but all the wiring were there. So he found the rear wiper assembly and reinstalled it, was easy since wiring there.

Noticed someone posted a photo of our car at Luft8 showing rear wiper (thanks!), but happy to take closer photo of it with the motor if interested. Attached couple more pix. We still have comfort seats but found orig sports seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images