Thread: FS: 1963 Mercedes Benz 220seb coupe

FS: 1963 Mercedes Benz 220seb coupe

1963 Mercedes Benz 220SEB coupe.

ID# 111021-12-046584 - 717 Papyrus White/212 Reseda Green Leather.
    Engine #127984-12-001466 - Automatic Transmission - Power steering - Column Shift.
    Body #1110212-10-01365 - US Model - Tourist delivery at the Factory then to Fairfax, CA.
    Burlwood - MFG Date: July 5, 1963.

Factory Data:
    401 - Single Front Seats
    423 - Power steering/automatic transmission/column shift
    491 - US Version
    506 - R/L outside mirrors
    515 - Becker AM/FM Radio

Engine numbers matching USA spec European delivery car with original origin statement and factory owners manual.
    Maintenance Book reflects a snapshot of an amazing journey of this Mercedes from new driven around Europe in 1963 by Roland S. Watts. Maintenance book reflects vehicle servicing in:
    Berchtesadan Germany 7/25/63
    Firenze (Florence) Italy 8/02/63
    Sevilla Spain 8/19/63
    Paris France 9/02/63
    Belfast Ireland 9/23/63
    Amerikavej Denmark
    After it’s maiden European journey the car went for servicing at McNey Motors Inc. a Mercedes Benz dealer in Bethesda MD on its way to its new home in Fairfax CA. The maintenance book shows the car lived in CA up to an unknown point.

I found it in a basement in the Saratoga area whereby 2 sisters consecutively owned the car. The first had it and she had passed and gave it to her sister who had then later passed and I bought it from her husband nearly 10 years ago.
    This car was amazingly preserved when I bought it and had no rust whatsoever. It did however need repainting and complete interior and engine rebuilding.
    The engine and front suspension were removed and the car was repainted it in the original 717 Paprius White. I added the optional 040 Black top and center caps.
    The interior leather was replaced in the closest leather color I could find to it’s original 212 Resida green. The original optional 300seb burled wood veneer had survived and I refinished it with urethane clear. All new front, rear and side window seals and felt. New firewall padding. New Sigia front windshield.
    Completely rebuild engine by Frances Kaddo in 2017. New pistons, bearings, camshaft, rocker arms, balls studs, oil pump. Nearly all parts sourced through Metric Motors. Over $7200.00 in engine internal parts alone. This is the only vintage Mercedes I have ever owned that does not smoke.
    The injection pump was rebuilt and injectors cleaned tested and proven good by Robert Fairchield
    Restored fuel tank and rebuilt short 280se style fuel pump, rebuilt fuel sending unit.
    New 123 distributor system, new bosch red coil and wires. (original distributor comes with car)
    The braking system, including master cylinder, booster, front calipers have been rebuilt and replacement rear wheel cylinders and flex hoses and use of DOT 5 fluid.
    New front suspension mounts and rear differential mounting, front suspension is good and cosmetically restored when it was out of the car during the engine area and exterior body repainting.
    Column shifter bushings replaced. Radiator re-cored and all hoses and waterpump, new voltage regulator, rebuilt generator and starter.
    Speedometer and tachometer were rebuilt by Palo Alto.
    New stainless exhaust system built by Mike at TimeValve in FL from it’s restored exhaust manifold and back.
    The car retains it’s original 4 out of 5 date matching Lemmerz 13 inch rims and 2 piece hub caps which were standard on both 220seb and 300seb in 1963. The rims have been professionally restored and power coated in what I believe to be original grey inner/black outer. Replacement 185/80 R13 white wall radials.
    I even have an original fan style Mercedes Benz exhaust outlet new old stock in the wrapper but have not fitted it to the car.
    This 220SEB runs and drives like a new car. Neither of my 2 230SL’s feel as new and as supple as this car does. This example comes with both an original Mercedes Benz Spare Parts Listing and factory shop manual.

Here is my car collector and enthusiast perception on the 1963 Mercedes Benz 220seb.
    It really resembles an early 300seb in many ways. It also more visual candy in it’s chrome and complete finished wood binnacle than the later W111 280se. The interior mirror, the plating associated with the front seating, the front fender mounted exterior mirrors, and the lack of rubber covering protection on the bumpers and lack of bumperettes. Like it’s earlier w112 300se relatives it has a forward mounted brake booster and more primitive master cylinder arrangement tying it to the ponton/190sl 1950's vintage predecessors. Like an early 300seb coupe and cabriolet it retains it's original 13 inch rims and 2 piece hubcap original arrangement. The early 220seb 63 an earlier has a taller more substantial longer intake manifold that looks 300seb even reaching for the 300sl! Also the firewall has a vent door like the early 300seb. It also has the more primitive 2 plunger MFI styled pump and fuel injector blocks into the intake manifold like that of the early 300seb. There's many visual detail connections to it more powerful sister!

The earlier 220seb more pure and simpler to a later 280se much like one could say about a 230SL compared to a 280SL. It’s the original design as intended. More chrome detail. Keyhole styled interior door handle openers. More vintage looking... More of an eccentric purist car. Yes less powerful than it’s sister the W111 300seb. But than again who can afford an engine rebuild let alone parts specific to it unique alloy block based M189 engine! And the fuel economy on the 220seb is good as measured around 18 mpg when driven spiritedly on the highway and back roads.

Car is live on BAT.

I can be reached at 518-210-1869
    Peterperry911113@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perry911; 03-20-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

Cool car. Best over here. GLWS
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Cool car. Best over here. GLWS
    Thank you sir!
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)