Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ray Thackwell’s 911ST

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Hugh is correct ... The car in the photo shown is one of the two Signal Orange RSR's Alan Johnson took delivery of through the dealership he managed...

The photo was taken by my friend, and sometimes ESSES photo contributor, Chris Florin and his Father at the L.A. Auto Show in Oct. 1972...

Here is the same photo, and the accompanied front shot....

Chris gave me these prints about 25 years ago....

Cheers,
    cm
    Ah thanks i remember it now from when the pics were put up,i had it saved as a good reference for when i was redoing the rear arches on my 2.8rsr.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Hugh is correct ... The car in the photo shown is one of the two Signal Orange RSR's Alan Johnson took delivery of through the dealership he managed...

The photo was taken by my friend, and sometimes ESSES photo contributor, Chris Florin and his Father at the L.A. Auto Show in Oct. 1972...

Here is the same photo, and the accompanied front shot....

Chris gave me these prints about 25 years ago....

Cheers,
    cm
    What is the vin number of this car in the two B&W in LA show? Would this not have to be be motorshow in calendar 1973, not October 1972? I might be wrong but weren’t those Johnston M491 from second and third series, if so, both made long-after show in October 1972 ended? The RS was only launched October 1972 in Paris show and chassis 319 last RS buit calendar 72. My recollection is there was only one “customer” RS with the M491 conversion among the original 500 series and that was mid 300s vin so built calendar 73 — probably that first (only) customer RS M491 was built January of 73?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-08-2023 at 01:18 AM.

Yes Steve
    it is 1008, and 1973, and Chuck's original post back in 2006 or so stated "As far as I know the pictures taken at the '73 LA Auto Show, the article in R&T, the article in PANO, and the car at the RGruppe 2006 event, are all of the same car - RSR # 1008 "

and here is another one with the event, date and photographer noted

Name:  ddd.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  105.2 KB
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks Hugh. So it’s the third series one in 73 Glad my memory isn’t so bad after all. Nice to see pictures when brand new (or nearly) new!

I would say very late 2nd series
    i think the third series did not begin to about 20 or 30 vins higher (or at least the change in panels etc) and anyway not until after 1010 as the vins did not start until #9113600011
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Lightbulb

Yes, the show was '73 ... sorry... I was right the first time I posted....

I was think'n about it last night... I guess was quickly referencing when the L.A. Auto Show accrues now...

Thanks for the correction...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    I would say very late 2nd series
    i think the third series did not begin to about 20 or 30 vins higher (or at least the change in panels etc) and anyway not until after 1010 as the vins did not start until #9113600011
    Agree with the distinction. I was using third series sloppily
    as shorthand for later of Johnston’s two M491 cars but concur with your more accurate interpretation of likely where that vin sits in the “build sequence/series” even if not completed in Vin sequence. Such distinctions can be important — mea culpa
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-08-2023 at 08:34 AM.