Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ray Thackwell’s 911ST

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    Where is this car now out of interest,no pics in the lot search,thanks.
    I am not sure if he still has it but at least up to a couple of years ago it was owned here in Melbourne Australia (I heard it was for sale a couple of years ago but I dont know if that happened or not) the last photos of it that I have are from about 2019 here at the owners house

here are some from when it was new - Ray Thackwell had it from 1973 for a couple of years Note it was LHD when he had it. It was converted to RHD in Melbourne some owners later - the current owner, if he still has it bought it in about 2006. At one stage, in late 80's I think, it was in the UK owned by Michael Fisher - that is the photo with the UK rego. It had been road registered in Australia since the mid 80's and still is.

it is very distinctive with the vents in the panels behind the front wheels - from what i know they have been there since new or very new.
    Name:  19732.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  73.0 KBName:  1973.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  27.2 KBName:  bbbb.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  97.5 KBName:  1998.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  116.6 KBName:  2019.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  74.8 KBName:  aaa.jpg
Size:  77.0 KBName:  aaaas.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by HughH; 10-27-2022 at 03:59 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    I am not sure if he still has it but at least up to a couple of years ago it was owned here in Melbourne Australia (I heard it was for sale a couple of years ago but I dont know if that happened or not) the last photos of it that I have are from about 2019 here at the owners house

here are some from when it was new - Ray Thackwell had it from 1973 for a couple of years Note it was LHD when he had it. It was converted to RHD in Melbourne some owners later - the current owner, if he still has it bought it in about 2006. At one stage, in late 80's I think, it was in the UK owned by Michael Fisher - that is the photo with the UK rego. It had been road registered in Australia since the mid 80's and still is.

it is very distinctive with the vents in the panels behind the front wheels - from what i know they have been there since new or very new.
    Name:  19732.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  73.0 KBName:  1973.jpg
Size:  27.2 KBName:  bbbb.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  97.5 KBName:  1998.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  116.6 KBName:  2019.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  74.8 KBName:  aaa.jpg
Size:  77.0 KBName:  aaaas.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  91.7 KB
    Thanks Hugh,the car looks great in black with yellow wheels.Thackwell Junior was a great driver,i believe now lives in a caravan on the south coast of england as a recluse.

Great story, thanks for sharing!
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I spoke with Ray about his RSR and he said that CAMS made him remove the duck tail, as at the time the cars were not allowed to run with aerodynamic aids.
    Even though it was a ‘standard’ fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by John_A View Post
    Recently I was lucky enough to meet up with Lisa (Ray’s daughter)
    She brought on along some of the trophy’s that Ray won using his 2.3 ST.
    He also confirmed that he bought it straight off the boat from Porsche and that all Hamilton’s did was to fit some ‘spats’ and paint it white for the castrol livery.
    I know pretty much have all the history of the car.
    Factory built.
    RHD.
    2.3 twin spark.
    LSD.
    Roll bar.
    Light weight.
    Raced by Ray for 2 years and then sold to Dr Leo Stubber, who continued to race it into the late 70’s before selling it on.
    Maybe the time has come for me to do the same.

So a big thank you to Lisa and Ray for taking the time to share their experience with me.
    In addition to knowing this car, I knew Ray Thackwell, Leo Stubber and David Cavanagh, who all owned the car. After his racing career ended, Stubber rebuilt the 911 as a road car, though he rarely used it. I think the roll bar was removed. The most visible clue to its racing history was the tachometer turned around so that the redline was at the top. It wasn't until the early 1990s that he sold it. Several years later Cavanagh took the car to the UK. I ran the AEM Classic Rally event in which Cavanagh drove the car (AEM is my business, Automotive Events Management).

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Hi Hugh, yes, that's correct.
    Konradsheim lists it specifically as a 'special RSR' and writes in the "Carrera RS book" on this RSR 784:
    "This RSR was to become the lightest of all RSRs, slimmed down by some 20kg compared with the other RSRs. Most of the window glass was replaced with acrylic glass, the steel front fenders had to yield to plastic ones manufactured in the race department, and even the turn indicators were put on a diet. Shapewise, these front fenders were a bit more bulbous than their steel counterparts."
    (...)
    "Conversely, the left and right fenders received three louvres each just behind the position where the fuel hatch would normally be located."

In the book there's also a picture showing the order-notes for this car where the request (sonderwunsch) to have the front flares in glass reinforced plastic (grp) is listed.
    Latest I heard the Melbourne gentleman that owned the car recently still has it.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

So the RSR was originally Gulf blue without the louvres and sold to Hahn, but Rob Jane bought it soon afterwards and had it returned to the factory for a
    color change to black and make some modifications, including the plastic front fenders with the louvres?
    That must have been quite some modification if the factory also repainted all areas of the car black, in other words an complete dismantle of the car.
    Why not just order an complete new car with the right specification at once, or was it that hard to get an allocation?

Anyway, I found a picture on the internet with someone claiming repainted it white pearl back in 1976/1977: Name:  119646344_3593842207326268_7810870486402386046_n.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  51.0 KB
    Was it converted to RHD prior to its road registration?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimba View Post
    So the RSR was originally Gulf blue without the louvres and sold to Hahn, but Rob Jane bought it soon afterwards and had it returned to the factory for a
    color change to black and make some modifications, including the plastic front fenders with the louvres?
    That must have been quite some modification if the factory also repainted all areas of the car black, in other words an complete dismantle of the car.
    Why not just order an complete new car with the right specification at once, or was it that hard to get an allocation?
    No, according to the same Konradsheim book, "Originally the car had been ordered in gulf blue with black side scripts, but on a note from the customer, the car was recolored to black just before delivery."
    It goes on to describe the 3-colored striping was done at the factory too, and that is was manufactured as LHD, as all other RSRs.
    There's pictures of the notes, and they specify the "plastic kotflugeln", the fact the buyer is Hahn, and they're dated 28 Feb 1973.
    (in the full chassisnr overview in the book, it also lists that 0784 was delivered 3/1973 so that seems to back up that these changes were made before initial delivery..

Anyway, I found a picture on the internet with someone claiming repainted it white pearl back in 1976/1977
    Was it converted to RHD prior to its road registration?
    As Hugh mentioned a few posts ago, it was one of the later owners who, a couple of years later changed the car to RHD.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Ok! Thanks Patrick

Was it recolored as in repainted, or ordered gulf blue but last minute changed to black?
    Just having the outside of the car repainted is probably possible in a short notice but having to change the color of
    the complete car is maybe more demanding. Anyway, why is the car listed on several sites as originally blue if the car left the factory as black?

Anyway, I think it looks really cool with louvres and that extra bolbous fenders

Was it recolored as in repainted, or ordered gulf blue but last minute changed to black?
    Not sure how Porsches admin worked, but the production order form (green note - of which there's a picture in the book) lists the car's unusual assembly procedure, it looks as if it was coming of the 'standard' production line on Feb 28, then converted at the PRK (repair department) according to the customer's requests, signed off on April 18. So it was definitely blue before it was repainted black, but I may have been that their records did not include PRK changes (or that they missed it here).
    (Note: i put 'standard' production line in quotes as I understood RSR/M491s were taken of the standard production line and finished at "Werks 1")
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T