Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ray Thackwell’s 911ST

Ok! It would be very interesting to find out if they repainted the whole car or just the outside. Any idea about that?
    There should be more early pictures as I found this post in the typ901.org forum (I can´t see them as I´m not a member)
    Maybe they give a clue

13-01-10, 09:55 PM
    Magic Some interesting detail to note on Thackwells RSR......
    First colour shots I've seen.
    Attached Files
    thackwell_1973.jpg (28.0 KB, 2 views) thackwell_engine1974.jpg (26.8 KB, 0 views) thackwell_paddock.jpg (35.4 KB, 1 view) thackwell_March1974.jpg (32.2 KB, 1 view)
    Nice period photo of the car from behind. https://www.facebook.com/speedwest/p...6257697058976/
    Quite high ride height in the rear..

here are those photos (long distance shots - no detail)and some more of mine
    It was black for a short time but Thackwell painted it white (like his ST) for his sponsor castrol
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by Nimba View Post
    Ok! It would be very interesting to find out if they repainted the whole car or just the outside. Any idea about that?
    Yes, i did notice the pictures of Hugh's post #11 seem to indicate the front bay and the interior floor to be painted black, so it looks like they may have indeed done the full car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimba View Post
    Nice period photo of the car from behind. Quite high ride height in the rear..
    Name:  101012234_146257700392309_8865332971670863872_n.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  105.1 KB
    Also weird is the Dutch "NL" sticker on the back. Until I believe sometime in the Nineties it was required for European cars to have a sticker on the back indicating the country of registration.
    Maybe a joke - don't know, maybe Ray had Dutch ancestors or so this may have been a nod to, but I don't think this car was ever registered in the Netherlands.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Yes, i did notice the pictures of Hugh's post #11 seem to indicate the front bay and the interior floor to be painted black, so it looks like they may have indeed done the full car.
    I think it has been repainted so many times ( and probably a number of times back to bare metal- or plastic) it would now be impossible to determine how it was originally finished from the factory without a period photo of it coming out brand new
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post

Name:  101012234_146257700392309_8865332971670863872_n.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  105.1 KB
    Also weird is the Dutch "NL" sticker on the back. Until I believe sometime in the Nineties it was required for European cars to have a sticker on the back indicating the country of registration.
    Maybe a joke - don't know, maybe Ray had Dutch ancestors or so this may have been a nod to, but I don't think this car was ever registered in the Netherlands.
    It is still required to have an indication of the country of registration of the car, if you travel abroad, but now it is included on the new registration plates, under the european stars, on the left of the plate.

I think that there is at least of picture of this car brand new during delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    It is still required to have an indication of the country of registration of the car, if you travel abroad, but now it is included on the new registration plates, under the european stars, on the left of the plate.

I think that there is at least of picture of this car brand new during delivery.
    Hi Hugh,is this the car fairly sure this was at a australian car show
    Name:  DC0E96BE-4DB5-4F21-B004-3E98D00355D2.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  68.4 KB

No it isn’t that car (at least I am pretty sure it’s not) as it doesn’t have the vents in the rear or the front quarter panels
    I will look at my files and see if I can identify this one. I am sure I have seen the photo before
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Thumbs up

No it isn’t that car
    Hugh is correct ... The car in the photo shown is one of the two Signal Orange RSR's Alan Johnson took delivery of through the dealership he managed...

The photo was taken by my friend, and sometimes ESSES photo contributor, Chris Florin and his Father at the L.A. Auto Show in Oct. 1972...

Here is the same photo, and the accompanied front shot....

Chris gave me these prints about 25 years ago....

Cheers,
    cm
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Great pictures - thanks for sharing those Chuck!
    I know I'm taking this even further off-topic, but does anyone know in the above pictures what's on the front lid and front arch? It looks like pinstriping (unlikely) or more like a protective sticker?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Patrick,

I believe it was indeed pinstriping ... As was the Penske Sonoco Blue RSR...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter