Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Banjo horn brackets 71/72

Yes please Robert I and others would love to see how the bracket/brackets were arranged for this dual down set up and indeed what brackets were used.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Guys
    Thanks for continued efforts ….
    Looking forward to details of mounting
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Yes please Robert I and others would love to see how the bracket/brackets were arranged for this dual down set up and indeed what brackets were used.
    Here you go sunshine.
    In the position as removed.
    The bracket is 4mmx20x80.
    The hole centre too oblong centre is 45mm
    I believe this same bracket was also used in my 73’S with a down and forward arrangement .

Regards,
    Btw, All three hex heads are HKW.. not commonly seen in my experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Awesome thanks Robert.

Indeed the brackets I reproduced for the down/forward orientation appear to have been carried forward from the down/down orientation, just used differently.

That matches with the parts book too.

So still 5 brackets for the down/down orientation 2 spring steel plates for each horn and then the more solid steel mid section.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

and if you look very carefully at the first picture Robert posted (post #19) which is a different car, you can see the bottom of the same bracket set up behind the wiring so think we are safe to say this is how they mounted the side by side horns.

My Aust contact also has the same 5 bracket set which was refitted incorrectly when he checked a few days ago but is now being corrected.

Now when did they stop doing it that way LOL
    Last edited by BOYER73S; 11-13-2022 at 01:22 PM.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    It has been my understanding that the "model year," such as it was, changed at the time of the annual holiday in August. Cars completed before the holiday were usually considered being of that calendar and model year while those completed after the holiday were of the next calendar and model year. Therefore a 7/71 completion date would be from the 1971 model year while one completed 9/71 would be of the 1972 model year. I'm curious as to why this July, 1971 car is considered a 1972 model year as it seems quite early to have received such an "update."

BTW, here's a photo from an adjacent thread purporting to show downward facing banjo horns on a '72. I'm adding it here just to have all the pictures of these horns in one place.
    Only problem with that pic is they are not Banjo horns nor are they the correct brackets
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Hi Clyde. I’m a bit confused to your referring of 5 brackets.
    Correct my misunderstanding but are you saying 5 various brackets used from snail shell till model year 73’ ?
    The dual horns down only used 3 brackets.
    Regards,

Hi Robert

Are there not 2 spring steel brackets per horn, there is on 1 down 1 forward?

Sure looks like there is in the pics you posted (see below) I think it is meant to have 2 per horn also.

I checked with my Aussie contact who is following this thread closely as he corrects the placement of his horns, his 71 2 down has 5 brackets, 4 identical spring plates and one solid joining piece.

There is no Porsche number for the spring steel brackets must have been supplied by Bosche with the horns.

If you buy some of the NOS sets of horns floating around (which I have) the flat spring steel brackets (x 4) are included in the sets.

Cheers Clyde

PS My son is marrying a Canadian girl, wedding will be in Canada, so watch out I may find time to visit
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BOYER73S; 11-13-2022 at 06:04 PM.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Ah I see what your saying but I believe the spring steel bracket is actually just one piece that is folded over for the double layer appearance.
    Sure Would be great if you make it out over here.
    Definitely let me know.
    Cheers

Hmm not so sure about that Robert as I said the aussie guy with a 71 has 4 seperate brackets they often appear stuck together but they are not, just been together for such a long time.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6