Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Banjo horn brackets 71/72

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911 View Post
    I’m not going to disagree with the owner but I also cannot comment on that as the bottom side has been refinished and has mid 72’ dated banjos. The brush stroked seam sealer in the back corner is something you only see in an RS with no undercoat . I’d need to see some more photos of other late 71’ builds that have been untouched and then it can be determined a more exact date of when the bracket was placed backside. His car is in the last month of production so if original a transition point. My blue pastel car is probably a month earlier than his.

Regards
    How about an English built car, November 1970, that has the bracket on the battery box and the horns side by side and the wiring loom for one side mounting only.
    Last edited by BOYER73S; 12-08-2022 at 11:24 AM.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Clyde
    Thanks, got the bracket yesterday….
    See attached photos with correct bracket, Attachment 585900Attachment 585901I have these attachments snugged so let me know if This is correct arrangement for my 71 ..
    Frank when was your 71 car built as it clearly has the bracket on the battery box too
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    is that a 72 car Dirk?
    Yes a very early MY72

Snail horns required in some markets for some years (eg Switzerland) but that is a national regulatory nuance, not the main configuration I suppose. Think that is covered by Brett

From some quick research I have found the 1971 model year cars having the horn brackets mounted under battery boxes up till January. I have not found good examples with backside brackets until till about April 71’.
    That leaves about 4 months in between I have no data for.

Clyde. My 67-68-69-70 parts book only show snail shell fanfare horns 400hz left, 500 hz right and the older style high low tone Bosch horn plus a 335hz horn not to be used in the 911S. No photo of a banjo trumpet.
    It mentions nothing about country specific and the only thing I have every noticed were Italian spec cars having fiamms installed. I can’t say if it’s by coincidence but I’ve noticed in on several cars 1970 MY.

I went through some of my boxes and pulled out just a few horns and I have snail shells dating from 67 till mid year 71. I have one oddball snail shell dated mid year 73’ which was probably a new replacement.
    My banjo dates start around mid year of 70’ and I also have one oddball dated 10th week 69’.
    It’s not tagged as coming from a 911 or any certain chassis. Probably from another European car.

I seem to think that early in 1971 the banjos were getting phased and were dependant on supply and the using up of stock on the snail shells . A snail shell would determine the battery box bracket location and a different wiring loom in the signal box as they were mounted left and right side with horn feed coming from ea box and banjos used a loom that fed both horns only on left side.

That’s all I have for now
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

HI Robert,

Great info and thanks for taking the time to work through all those horns.

The style of wiring loom and battery box mount are pivotal it seems due to the different location of snail v banjo

The English car I reference might indicate that late in 1970, November in fact was build date of this English car, that Banjo horns were on the way in for the 1971 model by that stage. That does not quite gell with your thoughts. I have asked the owner to check the horns date codes will report what I find

I looked more closely at my 71 year parts manual and it has a print date of 4/72 so any updates would have been included hence why no snails and only banjo's are showing for the 71 year model in that book.

Latest summary based on info at hand.

mid year 73 model change to trumpets (Jan/Feb), long one down, short one forward, left side mounting.
    most of 72 model is long one down, short one forward with banjo horns, left side mounting.
    from early in 1971 model (Nov/Dec onwards) side by side mounted banjo horns, left side mounting.
    up to Nov/Dec for 1971 model snail horns, mounted left and right, different brackets on battery box and different wiring looms.

We await further information as it comes to hand.
    Last edited by BOYER73S; 12-08-2022 at 11:37 AM.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Clyde were all models wired for the optional right side horn? Also which tone would've been used H or L?
    Robert may have provided the answer for you today Steve

No is the answer, only cars with snail horns mounted left and right had the wiring on both sides according to Robert.

Based on info to hand currently that would be 1969 model to Nov/Dec 1970 (1971 model) that had dual side wiring looms.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde. From what I see on all the horns that I have loose with a tag ref. to chassis number they were installed in , plus the cars I have here still with there original horns, there seems to be a 7-9 month difference from manufacture of horn till month of chassis build. That’s for snail shell and banjos.

Also the parts books only first mention a Swiss specific horn starting for the 72 model year.

I think I’m all nerded out for today :-)
    Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Name:  285DB398-4CF9-49DE-900C-92AA19006134.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  129.3 KB
    Here is the 70 targa believe 5/70 mfg with bracket on bottom of battery box and snail horns
    Sorry this is rotated !?

My 12/70 mfg date was a 1971 and clearly bracket on side of battery box
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    My 12/70 was a 1971 and clearly bracket on side of battery box
    Also have a 70 targa think it was 5/70 build with the bracket on bottom of battery box and the snail horns mounted
    Thanks Frank, that aligns closely with the English November 1970 build so we can confidently say bracket for Banjos in place before the end of 1970.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6