Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vern Hagestad Emblem

I'm interested as well as long the price isn't too exorbitant. Thanks.

White metal casting is definitely a PIA. If I had a one broken dealer insignia and one intact one, I'd buy an Alumilite kit, make a mold from the good (VW) insignia, insert the broken Porsche insignia into the mold (yes, I realize the two aren't quite the same, but that is easily finessed), and pour a resin cast of the missing bit, casting in a metal pin to strengthen the join. Then I'd clean up the casting and paint it with chromium paint. Done, for like $40. Yes, it's not metal, but who cares give that your Porsche insignia is broken anyway? Then, with your mold and Alumilite kit, you can go into business selling repro plastic Hagestad Porsche insignia. Hagestad is long gone, so he won't object. I used to sell repro NLA American Flyer train parts to jobbers made basically in this way; I probably still have some downstairs.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Rich

Your suggestions are great. But I can have mine professionally restored. Noted that the guy also did casting. So as long as I had him do something I figured I offer it up. Mine will be metal and chrome plated. That's what I prefer. Cheap is great but its like fiber glassing your rocker panels when they rust. Just not the same. Probably going to be too costly anyway. Don't know if volume will lower the final price.

Got the estimate for casting new emblems. Amounts to $2,650.00 to cast just one. I'm sure that additional ones would be just the cost of the material and finishing. But assuming this amount and that I had 10 committed buyers. that would be $265.00 each and that does not included the plating and painting. I'm not enough of a hero to front that amount. Wonder how many Hagestad had made up at one time? I'm just going to go forward with the repair on mine. Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up. Thanks for responses and advice.

And getting durable chrome plating on pot metal is not easy either. Look at the way your horn grills have pitted; not the same way as your chrome wheels have cracked and pealed.

Got pictures of repair.. Awaiting bill. Next step is platin g I think. Will consult with Karla Maxwell. Just got bill. $312,00. Not cheap but a unique service.

Name:  20221128_134024 (7).jpg
Views: 158
Size:  115.7 KBName:  20221128_134035 (1).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  102.6 KB
    Last edited by doigthom; 12-01-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Any update on this? I'm not necessarily uninterested.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Picture above is as far as I have gone. Repair is very good but I have not selected a plater yet. One or two I have talked to don't want small jobs. Multiple copies just turned out to be too expensive. Hoping to find a guy to gold plate a 912 emblem at the same time. Car is Irish green and the gold Porsche letters I have coopted really look good. Karla really made my badge like new and I bought the last red Luftgekuhlt badge. Working with John Audette on a trade plus cash H1 deal and just purchased those three 5.5 x 15 Fuchs. It's only a '68 912 but I've owned it for 44 years. Financially tapped right now, but can't resist the goodies.
    Last edited by doigthom; 02-02-2023 at 05:10 PM.

I believe pot metal can be repaired with low temp brazing rods...the trick is getting the heat right.

A knowledgeable painter could likely simulate chrome finish, and you could refinish if needed over time.

I have tried chrome powdercoat on pot metal and it works from a color standpoint, but it seems virtually impossible to prevent the potmetal from offgassing during the heat curing phase, even with multiple preheating sessions. You end up with bubbles. I would guess Cerakote might have the same problem even though the heating temp is lower.

Would be easy to buy some throw away emblems, media blast and then try some paints.

Just a thought.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Just wondering aloud if scanning and 3-D printing is an option for these kind of 'ornaments' for our cars?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616