Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Euro 1971 911S

Interesting Euro 1971 911S

So I did some downsizing and would like to eventually do a 70-71 style ST build, was thinking of using a 78-83SC but a LWB shell would be of interest as well. I just don't want to mess up a numbers matching or unique factory spec car. I have been keeping an eye out for a candidate and when this 71S coupe came up for sale close by I had to have a look. Sounded ideal as it wasn't a matching numbers car and needed exterior body panels anyhow. When I looked at the car it was obviously a euro car and the colour tag showed it wasn't delivered in a standard colour from new. Seemed like a cool car from new but I still felt it could be a good starting point.

I got the car home and emailed davep on here for a vin report. That's when things got more interesting, turns out it was a factory direct sale with a possible special engine, along with a decent string of options. Curious on the colour I took the door card off and with some thinner was able to get a good showing of the original paint(the lighter orange areas in the photos are through the clear coat) A very nice metallic orange colour, would have looked great when new with the pepita seats. Have yet to learn what option M480 is on it and hoping to track down some previous owners but I am feeling like it might make more sense to restore this to its very cool factory spec. I had a search through some factory photos and didn't come across it, should stick out a bit in the custom colour with rear wiper and no front bumperettes. Has anyone come across info on this car before or perhaps some factory photos? Vin is 9111300404. It's unfortunate that it was updated and painted red but well worth saving, as an S or ST build. Currently has a 2.7 in it, and was converted to a sportomatic... What are your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Hello I saw this car on Pelican and was glad to see someone picked it up that might take it back to its former glory ..
    It’s very interesting that you found the option list and fact that it may have had a paint to sample color .
    If it were mine I certainly would either return it to as close to stock or give it some performance upgrades .
    It seems ‘70-‘73:cars often suffered the update syndrome I even had a ‘71 which I did the same unfortunately ..
    Looks like a fun project good luck , B

Thanks for sharing this interesting car.

Here are two orange cars with factory plates and no front over riders.

The car with Stuttgart plate S-Y 1811 appears in a 1972 model year Italian brochure and other factory photos. It has features of the 1971 models and 2.4 L engine designation of the 1972 models. The blue sticker on the license plate indicates that the car was likely first registered in 1970 and required re-inspection in 1972. This car also has the rear wiper. The color in photos ranges from dark orange to light orange, so its true color is a bit of a mystery.

There is also a car with Leonburg plate LEO-ZA 57. The factory used Leonburg LEO-ZA plates around 1971-1972 on Carrera RS and RSR cars.

You might find a good sample of the original color under the paint tag.

Name:  IMG_4825.jpeg
Views: 491
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4823.jpeg
Views: 468
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4824.jpeg
Views: 467
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4727.jpeg
Views: 474
Size:  157.7 KB
    Last edited by Eric Gratz; 02-05-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    Eric Gratz
    Early 911S member

Parts wanted - Elephant hide seats, 71 911E engine 6211756

Quote Originally Posted by retroel View Post
    . . . obviously a euro car and the colour tag showed it wasn't delivered in a standard colour . . .

. . . turns out it was a factory direct sale with a possible special engine, along with a decent string of options. Curious on the colour . . . . A very nice metallic orange colour
    . . .
    Wow! --- very cool car

'Dealer 100' cars can be interesting --- not just because of who owned them . . . but why:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...er-Nr-100-Cars

And any 'special paint' car is, well, special:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...aint-to-Sample

I hope you consider restoring the car back to stock. A very different outcome from what you thought, perhaps, but --- I would definitely try to research as much as you can, regardless. Special color + special engine + 'Dealer 100' = something unique and IMO worth bringing back

Anyway --- congratulations! . . . and thank you for sharing

And keep us updated on your progress, will you?

Yours is the kind of car that makes Our Little Corner so interesting

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the photos Eric! Looks to me like S-Y 1811 is a very possible candidate for this car when new. The second photo of it looks very much like the colour I see behind the door panel, and I found another photo of the first photo and it looks closer in colour as how I'd imagine it would look in sunlight. Can't be too many in this colour with a rear wiper, and a 2.4 in it would explain the special engine. Funny they used a 70-71 911S for the 72 advertisement photos, still has the round mirror and appears to be no oil flap, black engine grill and letters though. One thing I see that doesn't line up is the photos of S-Y 1811 show no headrests, whereas the build sheet says there are L+R headrests.. The tow hook would be another clue but hard to see in those photos.

Is there any way of tracing a vin number down through the registration number? That would answer the question if it was S-Y 1811 or not. I'm sure that info would be readily available to some people, I am not one of those people though.

Love how cars like this still surface, odd it was in Canada of all places but then again a narrow body ST was found not that long ago here. You really never know what can happen to a car in 50+years! I agree it should be brought back to it's original state and probably not ideal for what I had in mind, no worries there though, it's a very cool car. Hoping to find out more about it in the next while!

Definitely carefully restore to original and unique configuration.
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

I guess that G style front required moving the rivet on I.D. tag to near the smugglers box. It should have been on the front latch panel.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Very interesting car that deserves to be restored as new.

Are you sure that this is a metallic paint? I ask because the 9898 is usually associated with uni colors, not metallic, if i'm not mistaken.
    Now, you need to find the mixture of the paint, from Herberts, if this is possible.
    Last edited by 928cs; 02-06-2024 at 11:26 PM.

I am not sure it is metallic either. The paint code is a single row code. When one has metallic paint with clearcoat then it is often a two row code at least as a custom paint. Standard paint codes did not have this feature of course.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

edmayo, this one got the "lazy" G model conversion, the old latch panel is still there! Can still see both rivet holes for the I.D. tag and where the old latch went. They didn't have to move it but must've to keep it visible. Glad they kept the plate at least, and should be easier to convert it back to a longhood(still retains both battery boxes, hood is a longhood just trimmed down...)

928cs, davep, I am pretty positive it is metallic. I figured since many old paint jobs were done poorly they wouldn't have sanded around the colour plate, so I took some masking tape and pulled a few layers of paint off to get down to the original colour. Hard to get an accurate showing of it on the phone camera and on my laptop it looks a bit copper like but it shows the metallic pretty well. And to double check I took some fine sand paper and it sands white showing it is a base clear/two stage. Unfortunately someone made a mess of the plate, probably would have come out really nice. At least it is still legible! Not sure why the colour tag is reflecting a single stage? Also curious why would they need to have a second line for the two stage cars as the topcoat would always just be clear coat?

Also I found another angle of the S-Y 1811 car, clearly shows it's a 70-71 car with no oil door. I am waiting on a reply from Porsche Classic to see if they have info on the registration numbers and corresponding vins. If it isn't S-Y 1811 I hope they can tell me which one it would be, and with any luck they will have some more info.