Thread: WTB: 1970 door stay/check

WTB: 1970 door stay/check

I need help finding a part -- a new door check for my 1970 911. According to the catalog, the part number is 911-531-037-00. Here's the catch, and where I'm having trouble: all the parts I’ve seen have a 1 ¾” bolt mount spacing (44mm). My car has a 1 5/8” spacing (~41mm).
    It looks like this:
    Door check.jpg

It does not look like this:
    Old door check.jpg

Thanks for any help.

it looks like you're new here, so welcome. this is a very productive community of enthusiasts.

if i recall correctly (and often i do not), there were several versions of these door stays. i think the early/SWB ones had a forked end which fastened to the door frame, and later ones (like the one shown) has a single (non-forked) end. i'm not sure of other versions, except that i've seen the part that fits inside the door as being round, rather than square as your photo shows. i'm not sure that i've ever seen the rectangular version shown in your photo on a Porsche, but i'm not a scholar.

i think the ones i have are round with a single lever, but i don't know the bolt spacing.

pm me with your email if you are interested in photos of what i have.

otherwise, free bump, anyway.

member #1515
    Unless it has been updated , a 70 would use the spring type.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Moved to WTB
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks for your welcome and comments. mshaver51 - pm sent.
    For clarification, my car was a 10/69 build, if that makes a difference. I looked into the door and the back of the unit looks like the first picture I posted, it is not round. The lever is solid metal, not split. I have a feeling that this will be one of those situations of a mid-year change that was changed again soon after. The only thing that's sure is it looks like the first pic, and the mounting bolts center-to-center are about 41mm apart.
    Thanks again.
    Gary

member #1515
    AASE has both models
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Send me a PM and we can exchange photos of what I have.

What's the build date on your car? It could be a '69 thing if your car was an early build or the door could have been replaced at some point with whatever year. My late 71 build has the lower pic door checks.
    One option is to try searching for parts that are specifically designed for your make and model of car. These parts should have the correct bolt mount spacing and should fit properly. You may be able to find these parts at an auto parts store or online from a supplier that specializes in parts for your specific make and model of car.

If you are unable to find the correct parts, you may need to modify the parts or the mounting points on your car to make them compatible. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it is usually best to seek the assistance of a mechanic or experienced local locksmith se20 if you are not familiar with this type of work.
    Last edited by patischof; 01-04-2023 at 05:43 AM.