Thread: 1966 911 Dash Kneepad removal

1966 911 Dash Kneepad removal

I have a 1966 with a one piece knee pad. Can anyone advise me if any of the nuts I must remove are underneath the cardboard glove box in that tiny space. Also, there are some round pushpin disks I can see. Do these need to be removes as well. (I am trying to access the stamped number under the radio).

Just crawl under there with a light and you'll see what I remember to be four or five nuts holding it on, all easily accessible, I believe a 1/4" 8mm deep socket will do it. Hope the numbers match
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I don't think they're s'posed to match?
    One is the vin #, the under-dash one is production sequence if I remembers correctedly.
    Please post whip me if I'm wrong.
    "Fahr drauf, bremsen ist feige!"

On a 66, chassis (VIN) number is provided on plate riveted to front latch panel, metal stamped next to Webasto access panel, metal stamped behind knee pad, and on a plate riveted to left door hinge post, all should match. I'm not sure if Porsche kept track of production sequence number as it was so random.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Whether the numbers "matched," and with which other numbers, and where located, differed upon the year of manufacture and if it were a Porsche or Karmann product.

The production # on the dash frame below the radio was also the VIN all the way through 1968. The Karmann # on the tunnel under the access cover was similar but not matching until about 1970. Very early 912 had the Karmann # in the speaker recess on the dash, or was not stamped. The crayon # on the cowl was the production #. Porsche did record the production #'s but I do not have access to them for 1969 model year. No one recorded the Karmann #'s, but I do keep a list .
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers