Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147

Happy Birthday

Our 73S turns 50 this month, 12/72. #538
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gled49; 12-02-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Congrats, Gordon—car looks great!

Your post reminds me I was distracted from our 1973 914's 50th. It's been in our family for 37~ of the years since 9/72 and most of its 260,000~ miles. How many miles are on your 911S?

Beautiful car, G!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Yup mine too. 9113300310. 10/72 through Delcar SaS in Varese, Italy. Still in business. I've had it since '88, aubergine/cinnamon.
    Last edited by steve shea; 12-02-2022 at 07:12 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Great stuff gentlemen!

Regarding 50 year old cars dob this month … The factory tech specs document gives us this information to conjure with regarding the last vin for model year 73 made by end December calendar 1972. Vehicles were not built strictly in vin sequence and the first 10 SC-F , aka RS ( the other series models too?) were not part of the actual run so the tally starts from 0011, rather than 0001 as this table on booklet suggests.
    Name:  3D17114D-ECBE-4B14-9E13-0AEFF3EB0CA1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  20.6 KB

I have somewhere (but not to hand) the numbers of 911 built per day or maybe per week around that time.

I know my car will turn 50 too specifically a few days before Christmas according to an exact completion date stamp at top right of its fahzeug-auftrag which makes it among the last few of its particular model to be built at the end of Calendar 1972. A British market car the dealer was later absorbed by the official network (although the original premises are still a car dealer and other than branding the building looks similar today to photo I have if it in 1972). I’m in touch with the salesman (later wen on to be overall manager of dealership) who sold the car new new on early part of October 72 when model was launched and who collected it from the sole importer along with the first customer on trade plates. This was in January 73 - just as Great Britain entered what was then called the “common market”. The car’s first owner still lives at the address written in the cars documents including its first British registration document (colloquially called the “green logbook” because they were a folded green card with various official stamps and handwriting writing recording the taxation amount, status etc as used by the county council vehicle licensing departments before vehicle licensing was progressively centralised and computerised across U.K. from around mid 70s ). Most green logbooks were cancelled with a big stamp mark and many surrendered once records got adopted by the DVLA big computers in Swansea wales so it’s quite unusual but neat to have the information. Complete continuous owner records to me allowed me to be in touch with the four previous owners — nice to ba able to go back no gaps ans even back to build sheet exactly fifty years ago this month. Sadly with GDPR legislation that content would never be given out legally these days as it shows personal private details!

Coincidentally I had leisurely lunch with Porsche racer Nick Faure last week, he sold the car to me around three decades ago (not as long as some here have had theirs!). Nick has told me how he’d had regular use of the car back when it belonged to his friend — a well known motor racing engineer and former F1 / Le Mans team manager— quaintly Nick still refers to car by the personalised cherished numberplate it wore when he used to borrow it. At our next lunch, planned for the new year, Nick said he will invite that PO.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-02-2022 at 07:30 AM.

Thumbs up

Look'n GREAT Gordon !!! ...

Have to wait a few months for mine...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

member #1515
    Mine was "born" in May 73 although I picked it up from the dealer in August 73
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Our 73S turns 50 this month, 12/72. #538
    Happy b-day from Biancaneve! Still some months to go for her ...

Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

White is such a great color for these cars. Now put some miles on it!

My identical looking ivory white '73S (0854) turns 50 in February of 2023. Your car looks great Gordon.

Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 12-03-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK