Thread: Marking mystery on my camshafts? BM 620 9. MFI Camshafts and head marking IMS 12/90

Marking mystery on my camshafts? BM 620 9. MFI Camshafts and head marking IMS 12/90

Hello,

porsche 911 camshafts BM 620 9. and here it is probably the shop BM ? ok long time ago !

And heads have marking IMS, the shop ? and the date I think 12/90,, this is how we do !

Is this something somebody knows what shop made this marking? built on a 3,2 Carrera case 3,4 L stoke 74,4 cylinder 98 mm, it was running well but was built in 1990 by somebody in Boston as what I think? MFI pump set up by Gus in LA

Twin plug compression 10,5 and that was good on all cylinders, but the car had been standing for a long time.

So it is a bit off-race and street engine fun to drive, but as you can see it was time to rebuild as the camshaft lock is good in my eyes but just these numbers on them!

As you can see on heads and other stuff, it was time for a refresh! stamps 12/90 and marking IMS and this probably shop marking maybe

Thanks

Name:  kam-1 - 5.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  kam-1 - 4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  kam-1 - 3.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  kam-1 - 2 .jpg
Views: 133
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  kam-1-6 - 1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  100.4 KB

Cams regroups with a modified profile???
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael yes,, but fun if somebody sholud know-how made in the USA, will measure them up next week, I do think it is S or E camshafts from the start because it is an MFI engine old school, but one of the most fun engine I bean driven and start to drive Porsche 1981, so have driven most of them. This one has an enormous nice power band, so it is not a race spirit camshaft, somebody got it very correct for a street and weekend race car,

Spec

3,2 case 1984 Carrera Stroke 74,4 heads SC, Heads intact 40 mm and ex 40-41 will see better after cleaning and rebuild, and interesting intake job will run exchanger the new one from SSI 41 mm Big bore

MFI set up T- bodies 40-42- and stacks 42-46 on the top, MFI Pump set to RSR spec on high RPM, a very interesting setup with a special space came, Pump we have run in the test bench will do the last calibration when we run the car, it will run a bit rich on low RPM, but as Porsche made all pumps back in the days so they were running very rich stock, this is the way of cooling an air-cooled engine as well and nobody cared about the fuel cost.

98 mm pistons and a very nice job on enlarging the cylinders and the car doset have many mils, I bean driven 10,000 km in the last 6-7 years

Twin plug and compression were from 10,5-10,6 it was a small oil leak on one cylinder head.

But what is cool all this was built back at end of 80, it sholud be nice to know how built the engine in the first place! and the car is a 72 T that was modified in the early days of 1973 like spare cars for racing by Waslak Polak, and that was the normal way they both T cars and ordered racing parts from Werk 1 for smaller race teams, then the car was sold without the engine, the race team kept the 2,5 L engine for the car as spare.

But overall, it is pretty stock 72ST set up, has 1328 seats, and other typically ST jobs are done and have no rust, will build a 2,5 L engine as well so we can compete in historic racing, so the 3,4 L engine will be more for fun!

I sholud say it is a very modern Hot rod engine that guys build these days,, and I was 100% sure it was 70,4 stroke how the car was revving so quickly up to 7,400 RPM first I had it set to 8,000 RPM but it is a bit risky and not for a street car!

Thanks

Thanks

Name:  MFI_1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  64.7 KB
    Last edited by Mikael Berg; 12-08-2022 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more input