Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 911E noisy heating

1969 911E noisy heating

Anyone encounter this behavior ?

When I pull the red handle up in order to have hot air in the cabin, I hear a quite strong whistling sound.
    Hot air is coming in the cabin, no problem about that.

What I suspect is they haven't reinstalled the heater silencer tubes out of the inner sills during the complete restoration of the car (back in 2016/2017).

But, regarding the quality of that restoration it would be surprising if they forgot to put the silencers back in.

Could it be something else before I open the sills ?

SFE could you point out where you think the sound is coming from?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    SFE could you point out where you think the sound is coming from?
    Depending of where I set the distribution lever, the sound is coming from the upper or the lower nozzles.
    I also feel like engine noise is more present in the cabin.

SFE I would associate a whistling sound with the heater silencer tubes. I was wondering if in one of the tubes there is a leak, or that one of the distribution flaps are sealing completely? Have you removed the carpeting and checked that area?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Why not disconnect the hot air hoses that go from the rocker sill into the trunk distribution box,,,,see what that does for the noise. Do the rocker sills get hot?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    SFE I would associate a whistling sound with the heater silencer tubes. I was wondering if in one of the tubes there is a leak, or that one of the distribution flaps are sealing completely? Have you removed the carpeting and checked that area?
    Both heating distribution flaps seems to work well.

Name:  IMG_2091.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  85.2 KB

For the carpeting you mean to remove that part ?

Name:  image13.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  85.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Why not disconnect the hot air hoses that go from the rocker sill into the trunk distribution box,,,,see what that does for the noise. Do the rocker sills get hot?
    When the "red heating lever" between the 2 front seats is close (fully down position), no noise.

I have disconnected the trunk hot air hoses one at a time to see if it was coming from one side. Whatever side is disconnected the noise is there when I set the red hot lever up (and hot air is coming almost immediately).

Name:  IMG_2093.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  95.0 KB

I haven't noticed that the rocker sills are getting hot but maybe I didn't leave the hot air on long enough.

What I am sure is they did change those rocker sills during the restoration of the car ; unfortunately I do not have a dedicated picture of that part except this one :

Name:  IMG_2106.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  60.7 KB

do you have a bad bearing in the alternator??
    ask shop if the have a picture of the rocker work

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    do you have a bad bearing in the alternator??
    ask shop if the have a picture of the rocker work
    I will check the alternator bearing.

The restoration was made back in 2016/2017 in Italy and I live in France, I have a lot of pictures about the work they did but nothing on those rocker...

Name:  IMG_2094.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2096.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2104.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  70.4 KB

Has this noise been happening ever since the car was restored in 2017?