Thread: Removing window regulators without removing window frames?

Question Removing window regulators without removing window frames?

Hey guys... The car is a '67 912 that has been built into a 911R clone. Currently, it has plexiglass windows and stock roll up window regulators. I want to get rid of the window regulators and make some leather pull straps similar to what the original 911R used in lieu of the heavy regulators.

This brings me to my question. Can you get the regulators out of the car without removing the window frames? Is there perhaps a procedural write up of this process somewhere? I've searched, haven't found much, and don't want to start unbolting the regulator now without knowing where the project is headed if that makes sense...

Name:  FE82C353-8CE6-4349-8312-B12CF5042555.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  62.3 KBName:  DA0A9B51-796C-48DD-88A1-D1AA79B807B4.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  79.5 KBName:  5D743B37-D663-4F5D-BC4D-B4C0B1670345.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  60.8 KB

I took these photos of a 911 R ( think flash gordon ) and the solution was very similar to my 356 GT
    Just a plexi window glass with no winder, lift etc.
    The leather strap attaches to bottom of plexi ( make sure to test the attachment location of the strap to balance the window
    When pressured to pull up )
    This solution is very nice since …..they use an aluminum strip with pop rivets ( can also use short screws and nuts )
    The leather strap slides against the top door trim , also use an attachment on the door panel when at the and bottom to hold in position ( you can see the small post to marchup with the holes in leather strap

Sorry for photos sideways but think you can see critical details
    Last edited by 71gold; 02-07-2023 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Photos sideways
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Yes. So rad... The only thing I didn't do was glass doors... So, still running the stock steel examples which limits me a bit.

But, I'm thinking maybe I can leave the lifts on the bottoms of my plexiglass windows and remove everything else as far as the regulator goes without removing the window frames? Bonus being the steel lifts on the bottom of the plexiglass gives me something a little more solid to attach my leather straps too...

Still... just curious if anyone has done this without removing the window frames?

Just finished up my door handles:

Name:  plastic.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  77.9 KB

Frames & attachments are not related to the lifts so should just stay in place ….1st
    Will need to snap the slides from the glass lifts so can pull glass unit out the top of door then
    4 allens hold the lift
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

So, I can just remove the current plexiglass from the lifts (by lifts, I mean the rails the glass sit in), slide the windows all the way up... and then the regulators and everything else will unbolt and come out the door? Obviously, I want to leave the rails...

I took this picture from someone else's post, but here's what I am calling the "lift":

Name:  regulator.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  123.9 KB

I'm thinking that instead of removing the plexiglass (appears to be glued in) from this lift, I will remove the regulator and leave the "lift" part as something to attach my leather too...

So I guess to be more clear, my question is - how is this connected to the regulator? C-clips? Is there any easy way to get those off in such a tight space?

Never mind fellas... I got it.