Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delivery Times

Delivery Times

I would like to ask (ask again) about this matter in the vehicles of the 70s. What time (average) did it take to deliver the vehicles to the owners?
    I have several dates for my vehicle but I have not started to compare them with other vehicles. Since in one of the posts it is discussed which chassis was at the end of December 1971 and the beginning of January 1972. I would like to clarify the doubts I have about the delivery of my vehicle from the factory to the distributor and from the distributor to owner.
    As you know, I have 3 dates. Two indicated by the Porsche itself and a third date indicated by Ju-Barth. The first, what is on the construction sheet of my vehicle and on the construction line of the book. January 1, 1972. The following date was sent to us by the director of Porsche France, this being January 19 and the third, given by J.barth, I think it was around January 22 or 25! Now I don't remember correctly. At the time someone told me that these dates were due to warranty terms
    s... quisas Jurguen indicates 25 because it was the day the warranty book was sealed and delivered to the owner but then, the following questions arise.
    If january 1 was the date of completion of the vehicle by the factory, porsche farncia indicates as "livrasion" january 19. On January 1, the vehicle is released and sent to the dealer and on January 19 (at the dealer) it is released. What does release mean? The vehicle is given to the owner and that is the date of January 19? But.... the date indicated by Jurguen, what does it indicate? If on January 19 the vehicle was delivered to the owner, the warranty would also be delivered, etc... For what I would like to clarify these doubts about the delivery, completion and release dates... Does anyone have the dates of their vehicles? ? The one that the factory delivers on a construction sheet or the one that Jurguen has indicated to you over the years? I am not going to go into it because Mr. Jurguen has data that Porsche itself does not have, but I would like to obtain clarification on these dates and the distances between them, since I must understand that our vehicle 576 was ordered on November 1971. Production was completed on January 1, and delivered to the customer on January 19 (which is not sold, since this vehicle was ordered for a customer, Dieter Fend, at that time, founder of the Pforzheim Porsche Club). .. Obviously, here we have to rule out the modifications in my vehicle since, according to what I have been told, these were made by Strasser in Pforzheim, so the delivery dates must be understood AS NORMAL.... so, I would like to obtain your opinion of your dates etc...Salds.

I suggest it is unlikely anyone was working on 1 January a public holiday day I suspect so suppose that particular date is nominal for some admin reason or for accounting purposes rather than a real outbound shipping event happened in the factory on a New Year’s Day?

Also the delivery modes vary and therefore delivery times will vary. Pick up factory, ship to dealer nearby in Germany vs ship car to a different country as a weekly delivery batch on transporter. Also some to other continents like NA or even side of planet would have significant times to transport so the average you are asking for will vary.

In England there is one concessionaire and the cars went by transporter road and water as a batch and we’re hello in a compound near london road from whence they were processed and prepared for onward distribution to the dealer. My own RS was collected on trade plates and driven on trade plate to the dealer. I know because the salaryman dealer general manager told me this. Distances in the U.K. however are comparatively short form west london even to the furthest dealer such as the one in Scotland so that approach can work whereas other countries possibly had a different model due to huge distances bigger volumes and different ports etc etc. Some places were to a degree a seatelitenof others for example South Africa got cars but some would’ve been via GB concession and to GB spec. The distortion to South Africa would be different to one foe london.

Not saying not interesting question but needs to be interpreted with such logistical differences in mind to be more meaningful than a simplistic average.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-23-2023 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    I suggest it is unlikely anyone was working on 1 January a public holiday day I suspect so suppose that particular date is nominal for some admin reason or for accounting purposes rather than a real outbound shipping event happened in the factory on a New Year’s Day?

Also the delivery modes vary and therefore delivery times will vary. Pick up factory, ship to dealer nearby in Germany vs ship car to a different country as a weekly delivery batch on transporter. Also some to other continents like NA or even side of planet would have significant times to transport so the average you are asking for will vary.

In England there is one concessionaire and the cars went by transporter road and water as a batch and we’re hello in a compound near london road from whence they were processed and prepared for onward distribution to the dealer. My own RS was collected on trade plates and driven on trade plate to the dealer. I know because the salaryman dealer general manager told me this. Distances in the U.K. however are comparatively short form west london even to the furthest dealer such as the one in Scotland so that approach can work whereas other countries possibly had a different model due to huge distances bigger volumes and different ports etc etc. Some places were to a degree a seatelitenof others for example South Africa got cars but some would’ve been via GB concession and to GB spec. The distortion to South Africa would be different to one foe london.

Not saying not interesting question but needs to be interpreted with such logistical differences in mind to be more meaningful than a simplistic average.

Steve
    Thanks for answering! And sorry for not being clear in the question, I am referring to the local German market.
    It had been a long time since I had been unclear if January 1 was a holiday or not. I have seen other Porsches with that date in their information so there must be something there that we "don't know"
    Regarding delivery times. The first date is January 1. The stamp will appear on the sheet so "someone at the factory" once the car was made put that stamp. Was that stamp put before January 1 or after?
    I think, my car finished before January 1, it finished in the year 71 but for some interest it was wanted (like other vehicles I have seen) to put in the following year. Does anyone know the reason for this?
    Manufacturing surplus in the same year or fattening the sales of the following year?
    I must understand my vehicle finished near the end of December, and at the factory (I understand/think) would there be a deadline? 26,27,28..... in which the construction sheets instead of putting the real date would put January 1.
    Therefore this "would leave me in doubt as to when the car was picked up at the factory, to move it to the dealer."
    I think the distance between the Hahn dealer and the factory was nil when I calculated it. So it puts me in doubt about the following date provided by Porsche France as January 19.
    "supposedly" 18 days took the vehicle to go from the factory to Hahn in fellbach.
    Regarding this. What dates are normal for deliveries from the factory to the distributor? Some time ago, I think, someone commented that it seemed like a long time, but it was never clear to me and I have never been able to compare dates in other vehicles.
    If someone has their dates and wants to estimate, here is the post.
    So... 18 days to get to Hahn....
    Here I think that the time that the vehicle took to reach the dealership is excessive, it could be because the car, on January 1, was not yet finished.
    Lastly, I have the date of Jurguen, which I believe to be real, like the collection of the client and the guarantee signature, but from this the following question occurs to me. Do you have so many dates for your vehicles? Why did Porsche France report the date of January 19 and not January 1, which is the one that appears in the construction sheet and in the Porsche database?

So... what I want to know in depth are the delivery times from the factory to distributors! If anyone has ideas, examples etc...
    umm as always, sorry for this english

Baudett

You will see a lot of documentation on "delivery" and "completion" date from Porsche on the first of the month - any month - over many years

I dont believe that means anything except it was made/ delivered in that month - sometime
    ie they only put month and year and computers which like to fill the full date NOW put it in as 1 whatever
    try it out with excel or some other program. Remember back in those early days computer memory was very expensive and they took short cuts to save memory like leaving off the first "7" in the gearbox numbers in the computer files for a long time in the early 70's.

so I dont think it is of any help if you want to specify an actual date rather than a month

Also on delivery times - even for Stuttgart (or within the factory from production line to internal use) it could be a matter of days - and much longer for anywhere further
    they held stock after completion for up to a few weeks at most times although the odd special order probably made it through the next day
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hello Hugh!
    Regarding my vehicle, I have two dates that do not correspond to January 1, I understand what you are telling me, but the date of January 1 appears in my car (and not in the erroneous report issued) but in other "documents". That date was indicated by machine, correct? I must understand that it is not a computer error/abbreviation since the date January 1 has been since my vehicle was created at the factory.
    Therefore I have to understand that the date of January 1 is a date that is put there for something and not because of an "error/omission" of the real date I think.
    I think this, because where I see the date is typed.
    If it were as you say Hughh. Thinking about the computers of 72. And starting from the fact that my date is "an abbreviation" so as not to create errors in the old Porsche database, should we then understand that the first date came from a machine? Or did the Porsche write down the "incomplete" dates in the database even though it had the actual date on the construction sheet? And if we talk about the record book..... what date would it go there? An "abbreviated"? I think I have seen that somewhat more exact dates are recorded in that place.

Name:  911 Rallye 1970 (1).jpg
Views: 398
Size:  8.0 KB
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-ST-9110301383
    Perhaps answering this could give the answer. At what point did Porsche adopt databases? As we can see, in this fragment of the book a "correct" date is noted for 1970. Where did that date come from? From the build sheet? At what point was that book written for example? Once the vehicle is finished, would the data be recorded with the construction sheet in front of it or, on the contrary, would they only have a "brief summary" of the vehicle to be recorded? I understand what you are telling me about the digits and the database, but then, if this were the case, where could the real date of the vehicle be obtained? Only by viewing the construction sheet or does it not even appear on that sheet? The principal looked at my build sheet and the date seemed to be correct. So... are my dates correct or are they abbreviations...

Yes January 1st is a holiday in Germany, back then and still today. Nobody works on January 1st.
    Registry member No.773

Baudett. They had the proper date on all sorts of paper documents such as the build book you posted the extract from ( which can even tell you the order of cars made in the day - at least in earlier years.) Also on the build sheet that you have posted before that can tell you when each major component of the car such as engine was completed. However for the ongoing warranty records (where most of the data for COA’s are drawn) after they moved to computers
    instead of hand done kardexes in 1970 the that data was stored on the computer and I believe that a number of shortcuts were done including just recording month and year of completion to save memory space. So depending on where data is drawn from ( warranty records on computer or actual build sheets) you can get a more or less accurate date shown on the paperwork now printed out.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Baudett. They had the proper date on all sorts of paper documents such as the build book you posted the extract from ( which can even tell you the order of cars made in the day - at least in earlier years.) Also on the build sheet that you have posted before that can tell you when each major component of the car such as engine was completed. However for the ongoing warranty records (where most of the data for COA’s are drawn) after they moved to computers
    instead of hand done kardexes in 1970 the that data was stored on the computer and I believe that a number of shortcuts were done including just recording month and year of completion to save memory space. So depending on where data is drawn from ( warranty records on computer or actual build sheets) you can get a more or less accurate date shown on the paperwork now printed out.
    Certainly, in all the documents that I have been able to see, like the one that showed me my car from another forum, the first day of the month and the month appear! Until now I had not noticed this detail and I agree with what you say, but as I said before, I have seen a somewhat more "deeper" document that states (or should have, I think) the date that should be go according to other examples I've seen/shown. This date, in my case, is shown as 720101. If it were not the case of an "abbreviation in the date", what else could it be?
    Should I understand "those white documents" that carry the most current data etc., they start "from the guarantee system"? It is a pleasure to read you as always!!

the vehicles...comparing dates on construction sheets. It took a month and a half or so to manufacture the vehicle once the order arrived...correct?

Just to give you an example, of my Hahn (Fellbach) delivered 928 CS:
    - Invoiced the 18th of March 1988 (a Friday)
    - Start of the original warranty 28th of March 1988 (a Monday)
    - Official first date of registration on the car, 28th of March 1988.

The invoice date is usually the date used by the factory to tell the completion date of a car and the start of the warranty the date at which it was delivered to it's first owner.

So, 10 days to transport the car from Zuffenhausen to Fellbach, prepare the car and wait for the customer to take possession of the car, including two weekends.
    5 or 6 days in working days.

For your car, I tend to believe that it was invoiced the 19th (A Wednesday) and delivered the 22nd (a Saturday) or 25th (a Tuesday) of January 1972. That's short in working days.
    What is the first date of registration on your car's registration document?

But all in all, don't overthink on such subject as dates on a car's production/delivery.