Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghosts of the Restoration

Ghosts of the Restoration

I thought I would share with you all a couple of really neat things we found during the restoration of my '66. Damon at Series900 is a real expert with a passion for SWB cars, and a delicate touch when it comes to stripping to bare metal!

Photo #1- if you strip the factory undercoating off you can see the original ink stamp on the steel floor pan, in the center of the tunnel. I THINK this is the logo of Rohrwerke-Maxhutte? See attached. It could also refer to the stamping plant of Maximilianshuette, in Unterwellenborn, Thuringia, Germany. (Now called Stahlwerk Thuringen)

Photo #2-- the left-over wire from the factory's MIG welding when the body was assembled. For most cars this has long, long since rusted away.

Enjoy! What other "ghosts" are out there, things you NEVER see?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hi John.

Great pics. I have also seen factory mig wire on several cars. A nice pic many do not see is how Porsche made RHD floor pans!. These were basically LHD pans with a section cut out and RHD panels spot welded in.

Like this

Alan

This gives me the willies!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I saw one of those stamps on one of the rear seat bottom humps when I was doing my stripping/reundercoating project this past winter. Was kind of cool! I didn't take a pic, but here is the result. (pardon the wiring, it's all been wrapped up as of today)

Part numbers on the top side of the bushing clamps, up against the tub?

Which steering arm is which? Nice of the factory to label this one Rechts. This is the kind of thing that is soon obliterated by RUST. . . that few have ever seen.

Ghosts for sure.

i found a 6" piece of welding rod under my dashboard.
    i know it was original it was painted over in body color!
    i also saw the same sheet metal stamping when i stripped my trunklid.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

My 914-6 had a M6 fastener in the rear trunk... covered by the seam sealer.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

I found that same OMH stamp on an NOS nose I put on my B roadster.

This would be like finding the crayon marks on a Corvette frame to denote ho many shims went where before dropping the body.

Cool stuff.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Another ghost

Found under the carpeting on the rear seatback-- "Zwei Guitarren am Meer" signed by the artist. . . must have been a slow day in the upholstery shop