Thread: Help identifying seat please...plus price check

Help identifying seat please...plus price check

I'm beginning a clean out of some long held parts that have just been sitting around for years. Most of it is smaller miscellaneous stuff but this seat came in an historic car I bought over a decade ago. The seat wasn't original to the car but was added during restoration and I thought at the time it was an "in period" piece. I took it out almost immediately (too small for me) and put it on a shelf.

I'm not quite sure of the model or if it's period (or repro) and I don't know if the center has been recovered. The shell, foam, and vinyl appear "older" to me and the corduroy seems newer but I'm here asking for a reason...I really don't have a clue. The lower part of the base seems home made (maybe not?) but the slider assembly seems again..."older".

Any help on seat type, period, and originality? Any areas I can photograph that would clear things up? Thoughts on a fair price?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images     

It looks like a Recaro. However some stuff is not original or modified. Slider is later model and I doubt the corduroy being original.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    It looks like a Recaro. However some stuff is not original or modified. Slider is later model and I doubt the corduroy being original.

Thanks for weighing in so soon.

The corduroy panel is riveted to the seat on the wrap arounds. The rivet looks unique to me (maybe aluminum) and I think the vinyl in that area matches the bolsters precisely...do you know whether that is a "tell" for originality (one way or the other)?

Sorry for the fuzzy nature...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes exactly. Originally they were never riveted there. There was just a Polsterklammer left and right. Side bolster Vinyl looks original.
    I am not so sure with gelcoat surface too - but that is not judgebale by pics - you need to see it in person.
    Are there holes in the bottom where the correct sliders would have been? - you could buy them without sliders, but who did that.
    Color of GRP is too greenish, but a lot of upholsterers glues are green, so is it glue or grp?
    Corduroy is definetely not original

Quote Originally Posted by jimhuiz View Post
    Thanks for weighing in so soon.

The corduroy panel is riveted to the seat on the wrap arounds. The rivet looks unique to me (maybe aluminum) and I think the vinyl in that area matches the bolsters precisely...do you know whether that is a "tell" for originality (one way or the other)?

Sorry for the fuzzy nature...
    Hello Jim,

the seatcovers were removed in the past, the corduroy is not original, the vinyl looks correct. There is a lot of additional foam in the side parts and the rivets are not only the wrong ones but also positioned at one of the most unfavorable points. You see 4 holes in the shell between the headrestpipes, two for the wires and 2 for the backrest cover, there the plasticrivets have to be placed. The mounting of the sitting bolster at the front end with rivets is also, let me say, not original. So is is a very unlucky reupholstery work which leaves some unnecessary damages of the shell behind.

Michael

You guys are great. thank you for helping clarify. I’ll look for more details as suggested but I think I can now properly offer in for sale.

Great thread with very good comments.

I would like to add the importance of an intact shell. The rallye seats are beautiful seats but in many occasions they are repaired and repainted. Yours look very honest but there is one area you should pay attention to. It looks like there was a repair done? See the picture with the red circle. You can have a look on the inside behind the upholstery. If there is no repair I would say you have a very nice seat. Its fairly easy to adjust the seating and backrest corduroy into something original and you will have a gorgeous seat.

Good luck with the sale
    Name:  Help identifying seat please.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  51.8 KB

911E, there is indeed a defect there that appeared at first glance to be just in the coating but I'll look inside next time I'm next to the seat.

FWIW - I got a PM that from an acknowledged EarlyS expert who stated the corduroy appears to be of 72 and later style (slightly wider) that he is not aware of ever being reproduced. His thought is that it may be the case that the vinyl has been replaced and the corduroy could be original...I know this disagrees with several statements above but thought I'd add the information to the thread.

I'll hold off listing until I get a better look at the shell as advised above.

Thanks again.

Moved to General Info. Hope to see in For Sale once you establish your price.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100