Thread: Battery Safety PSA

Battery Safety PSA

This was posted by one of friends earlier and I wanted to share.

He is ok but we all need to be careful out there.

"Okay kids, here's todays safety psa. Ya know those stickers on batteries that we all ignore? You know them - they show acid melting people and explosion risk..blah blah well, they're for real.

This battery was in my walkie stacker (walk behind forklfit). The indicator showed full charge but no walkie. I popped the lid off, jiggled some wires, pushed one of the buttons to see if it was working and BOOM. Flying debris, battery acid in my face, ears ringing. It sounded like a gun going off. Cheryl heard it inside the house. I beeline into the house and rinse my eye as best I can with some eye wash saline. Wife checks out what one should do, and off to the ER where they put this weird contact lens with a tube contraption in my eye and pump 2 liters of saline through it. Took about 2 hours. So yeah, those labels actually do mean something. I have a whole new respect for lead acid batteries, and won't walk up to a sketchy one without full protection again."

What caused it? His thoughts:

"Couple of things. Poor battery design and venting (American company that outsorced to asia for this model), probably low on water so too much room for gas to build up (that's on me), but with poor venting, there you go.”

Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thank you for sharing Harry,
    Battery gas explosions are real.
    Steve

Lightbulb

Battery gas explosions are real.
    You bet they are !!!

In the parking lot at Porsche parts open house in '2008 ... While kibitzing it was "What the hell was that? !!!" ...

The first (and only) time I ever put Porsche MOLL batteries the the car,....

Days of 'flushing out' were to follow....

Harry, better over here in Technical

cm
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Porsche Moll? Wow! Who would have thought? Made in China?

So, what is the recommended battery to put in our cars?

i have been using Optima yellow top sealed batteries since 2005.
    I'm on the 2nd one since I have owned it.
    Never had any issues.
    Steve

I hope you are doing okay!!! I have had that happen to me with batteries.

I HATE CONVENTIONAL LEAD ACID batteries. Gel on the Porsche, Z28, and my truck. Next time my other truck needs them, it is getting gelcell also. No corrosion!!!
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059