Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongest capacity hood struts?

I too used the Rennline on one side, and it worked great holding up my heavy hood + Cibie hood lights. However, I lived in fear of someone, somewhere, sometime pushing it down improperly and 356-ing the hood. I went to stock and added this simple, removable hood support. I forget where I got it (not eBay), but it works for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324259933844
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

I'd encourage getting the correct(ish) hood support:

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD511RSKI...pport-kit.html

I've used the long ones and found that the "correct" hood support works better because it locks into the shock towers.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

do they make these types of 'pole' supports for decklids too?
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

I like that RS style but wasn't willing to drill holes in my hood for this. That's why I went for the bolt on one. I added a (removable) plastic "cup" to the hood to keep the pole from sliding. No issues, no drilling, nothing permanent.
    Found the original place I bought it: https://www.tiporscheproducts.com/pr...fiber-prop-rod

Per Bill's question: probably no reason you couldn't modify a hood one for the engine lid, if you get creative with the mount.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Guy on the Bird selling a carbon hood support...fabulous. Never buying crappy hood struts again. Someone can provide the link?
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    I like that RS style but wasn't willing to drill holes in my hood for this. That's why I went for the bolt on one. I added a (removable) plastic "cup" to the hood to keep the pole from sliding. No issues, no drilling, nothing permanent.
    Found the original place I bought it: https://www.tiporscheproducts.com/pr...fiber-prop-rod

Per Bill's question: probably no reason you couldn't modify a hood one for the engine lid, if you get creative with the mount.
    awesome - i just bought one. i need to figure out the decklid. the Rennline mechanical strut works great (no longer pushing the corner of the lid up/distorting the fitment), but I continue to be worried about someone damaging the lid not knowing how to close it. Even last week at Ed Pink's, the guys told me to put a warning sticker on there somewhere, as they could have easily tweaked the lid by forcing it closed (it is aluminum).
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Hi John,

I'm having the same problem with the new URO shocks I bought. Holds back of hood up a couple of mm. Put the sacked out originals back in and while they do not support the hood, the back of the hood is flush as it should be.
    URO shocks seem to have way too much force, tired originals not functional. What was your solution?

Mark Peyser
    Easton, CT

Same issue. Installed redlines. Problem solved Front hood only.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

Thanks. Will give it a try.

I don’t really know. So it’s more of a question.

If strong hood struts are causing hood alignment problems it sounds to me that your hood hinges might have more slop or play than normal. Shouldn’t we consider why the hood alignment issue is occurring besides the strong hood strut showing up as an alignment problem?
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622