Thread: Wrong Motorola regulator connection ???

Wrong Motorola regulator connection ???

Hello,

When I rev the engine voltage comes up to 15,6 V so first thing I plan to change is my old Motorola 14V.

Meanwhile, I just found this documentation on this amazing forum :

Name:  alternator conn motorola.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  118.0 KB

And I discover that my mounting is different : black and brown wires seems to be inverted :

Name:  IMG_2693.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  81.0 KB

Do you think I should reposition the wires as per the above documentation and see what's going on ?

Clean the terminals on the regulator so you can read the markings. Typically the brown wire (always ground) was a round eyelet and bolted to a stud on the housing. Field control, always black, went on a spade marked 'FLD' and red and the blue wire went a term. marked D+61. Has someone done recent work on this, those don't look like original wire ends, and how long has this been going on? Is this a 69?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Clean the terminals on the regulator so you can read the markings. Typically the brown wire (always ground) was a round eyelet and bolted to a stud on the housing. Field control, always black, went on a spade marked 'FLD' and red and the blue wire went a term. marked D+61. Has someone done recent work on this, those don't look like original wire ends, and how long has this been going on? Is this a 69?
    Yes it's a 69's 911E.
    Restaured in 2017/2018 but I've just bought the car in November last year.
    Maybe this regulator ended his life recently ?

Assuming the generator was connected correctly i think you should change the wiring according the diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by gerakroo View Post
    Assuming the generator was connected correctly i think you should change the wiring according the diagram.
    I'm confused because the brown wire should be the ground and that's the one which is connected to the main body of the car...

Just change the regulator and it's working fine : 14.1V max at 4000 RPM !

The only problem is this regulator is "ugly"

Name:  regulateur.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  130.6 KB

I have seen where someone took the solid state regulator guts and installed into the Motorola can. Pretty innovative solution to the ugly modern regulator problem. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 30westrob View Post
    I have seen where someone took the solid state regulator guts and installed into the Motorola can. Pretty innovative solution to the ugly modern regulator problem. Rob
    The kind of job far beyond my abilities