Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 prototypes used as factory transport?

911 prototypes used as factory transport?

I have a document that shows transport arrangements for factory personnel to a race in September 1965:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 8.41.08 PM.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  26.8 KB

I'm assuming that the cars referred to as: 911/25 [Bott/Mezger], 911/20 [Falk/Linge]; and 912/15 [Hild/Mimler] were prototypes?

Anybody have any info that could help identify these cars better?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Stephen
    I doubt that they were prototypes as i dont think that many were made
    However they were likely to be company owned cars for directors, senior staff etc or even company owned demonstrators
    Therefore the reference could be the vin number ie #25 which was made in October 1964 and would be almost a year old at the time of the race OR it could be an early way of identifying the "company asset" being company owned cars in their financial accounts
    typically the directors and staff had a car for about 12 months from about October or November each year before they were sold on. that way they were always driving the newest models
    In later years the "financial accounts" designation began with the model code (ie B, C D E etc) and then a number sequence starting at 1 each year.

I dont have a kardex for either of the 911's but a kardex would reveal if they were initially a company owned car or not - if vin 20 and vin 25 were not company owned then it would simply be an asset number which would be very difficult to match to a vin
    Last edited by HughH; 02-05-2023 at 02:52 AM. Reason: extra explanation at the end of post
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

That sounds a very reasonable idea, Hugh. Thanks for your thoughts!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

could we see the doc in total?

I agree with Hugh with the duration of keeping and selling the cars.
    But do not see the necessity to have it combined with VINs .
    There also might be the possibility, that the factory car park manager had an internal numbering list for their factory used cars.

br

br

haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

What was the race, out of interest? Many thanks, Robert

That appears to be quite a document, and I would also like to see the whole item.
    I know that some early cars had "project #'s" and might be used for testing, or presse use which could also involve motorsport activities. I have seen a couple of Dymo labels on cars with such a number. But certainly an asset number of some sort.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Your list brings to mind these two photos from the book Peter Falk - 33 Years of Porsche. The first shows a few 911s in Ehra-Lessien along with a Citroen in the background. The Porsches are targa prototype with plate S-04324, a car with plate S-UN 478 seen on prototype 12 sn 300001 and a car with plate S-UE 87 seen on prototype 9 SN 13329.

The second photo is of three Porsches, two with plates S-WX 406 and S-WX 405, on their way to the Oukaimeden ski resort in Morocco.

I don’t know if any of these cars have been tied to a company asset number, but they might be linked to the list you published.

Name:  E37EBCDB-C4C9-466A-8F46-A591D7F97A7B.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  2856EBE5-5F55-4F96-896B-06CD2CDCB823.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  82.8 KB
    Last edited by Eric Gratz; 02-06-2023 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Corrected location of first photo. Thanks biturm959.

It´s not very important, but the first photo was made at the Volkswagen owned testarea at Ehra-Lessien.

The car line-up at Ehra-Lessien helps to understand the registration tags. According to Karim there were show tags (such as TYP 901) and road registered tags (such as S-04324). But I think we need a third category. In some instances S-04324 (in red) appears to be referenced as a "test plate". Is this something that was used for testing a car on local roads. It was certainly used on multiple cars. So far I know of the 904 prototype, the 901 13321 and the 911 Targa prototype. Then perhaps there were other plates used for general road use, even international travel. Does this make sense to our German members?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The car line-up at Ehra-Lessien helps to understand the registration tags. According to Karim there were show tags (such as TYP 901) and road registered tags (such as S-04324). But I think we need a third category. In some instances S-04324 (in red) appears to be referenced as a "test plate". Is this something that was used for testing a car on local roads. It was certainly used on multiple cars. So far I know of the 904 prototype, the 901 13321 and the 911 Targa prototype. Then perhaps there were other plates used for general road use, even international travel. Does this make sense to our German members?
    Yes so called Rote Nummern
    Formerly Workshops Dealers etc were able to have permanently Rote Nummern starting with 4. They are intended to be for Test Drives, drives for TÜV Apprival, and for Moving cars to another location.
    When you bought a Car that was not registered or you wanted to mave a non registered car from a to b you as a privateer were able to get them for 4 days at the Zulassungsstelle too.
    Somtimes later the dealer / Workshop assigned switched to numbers starting with 6 and the ones you could borrow were still with 4.
    Again later there were the so called 07er introduced - starting with 07 for vintage cars which can also be switched between cars and stay with the owner. The former ones starting with 4 were replaced by these disposable ones starting with 3 or 4 Name:  46d6d696-ee7d-4bc8-bfc7-431a9faf9594-kurzzeitkennzeichen.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  34.8 KB