Thread: Distributor Problem 1965 2.0L Engine

Distributor Problem 1965 2.0L Engine

Hi -
    I just had my all original 1965 2.0L engine rebuilt and am now having major problems with the distributor. It starts well and startup begins around 2000rpm and then falls to below 1000rpm for idle. The problem is when I raise the idle to say 3000rpm and then let off the throttle the idle raises to around 3200rpm and stays there no matter what I do. I then took it out for a short drive to see if it might resolve this isue but it only got worse. As I drove the car and incresed the idle to 4000rpm and let off the idle shot up to 5000rpm. Then as I drove again up to 5000rpm and let off the idle shot to over 6000rpm and would not come down. Seems to me that the distributor just died or something is set wrong. I know these early distributors were a problem and were quickly upgraded by Porsche. However, this early 300XXX 911 has been restored to original showroom delivery.
    FYI - The distributor worked fine before the rebuild.
    Anyone ever had this experience?
    Thank you

Disconnect the drop links from the carbs and operate the throttle arms manually to totally disconnect any sticky throttle linkage from the equation. Take off the distributor cap and twist the rotor and see if its free and not something sticking in the advance mechanism. Since the engine was rebuilt I'm betting on throttle linkage problems when it was all assembled.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Take off the distributor cap and twist the rotor and see if its free and not something sticking in the advance mechanism.
    Just be aware that if the distributor cam is opening the points, it can inhibit the advance mechanism from returning the twisted rotor when released.
    Many distributors are incorrectly diagnosed as faulty due to this.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thank you Ed and Jon for your input. It helped figure out that the problem is stuck linkage and not the distributor. Cheers