Thread: Restoring Armrests

Restoring Armrests

Hi all,

I’m struggling to find an old thread either here or on pelican where someone explained their process of restoring their arm rest on their long hood. The vinyl on mine has been separating from the foam. I recall the thread talking about injecting some sort of liquid glue with a syringe into the foam and clamping it down.

I fixed mine up that way. They weren't bad to begin with but used a black interior epoxy glue (can't remember which one). I used the glue and clamps to fix up some weak and slightly warped areas. Came out really well and holding up so far. Here are some pics:
    Name:  Armrest2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  156.9 KB
    Name:  Armrest4.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  169.8 KB
    Name:  Armrest6.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  172.7 KB
    Name:  Armrest8.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  153.9 KB
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Quote Originally Posted by Scott72 View Post
    I fixed mine up that way. They weren't bad to begin with but used a black interior epoxy glue (can't remember which one). I used the glue and clamps to fix up some weak and slightly warped areas. Came out really well and holding up so far. Here are some pics:
    Name:  Armrest2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  156.9 KB
    Name:  Armrest4.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  169.8 KB
    Name:  Armrest6.jpg
Size:  172.7 KB
    Name:  Armrest8.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  153.9 KB
    Yes! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Do you mind sharing the link and/or providing more info on the steps / materials?

There wasn't any thread I followed. I did search at the time but not much out there. Did read about one guy who clamped his and left them out in the sun, but that was about it. Figured I would give it a shot to make them a little better (as I said mine were pretty good to start). I had an extra set of real bad ones (see pic below) so I experimented on those a little. Anywhere where the foam was failing I filled with a filler using a small screwdriver and a plastic knife. I didn't think of it at the time but I bet a syringe would work pretty well too for some areas. I'm pretty sure I used JB Weld two part plastic filler/adhesive. Cut some small wood strips that were a real hard pressboard. After gluing/filling I clamped those areas and let it dry in my very hot furnace room using some cheap clamps I had picked up at Harbor Freight at one point. So far it has held up well and not come apart so I am happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Name:  Armrest Trial.jpg
Size:  168.4 KB
    Name:  Blocks.jpg
Size:  135.3 KB
    Name:  Clamps.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  175.1 KB
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Also - check your handles while you have them out. I have 4 of them and three where cracked.
    Name:  Handle 132.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  120.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

I have had good success using this epoxy for injecting into dash and armrest. Heating stuff up before bending and clamping is helpful too, as is leaving stuff clamped for a long time. For example, I left my original driver armrest clamped for a year before I re-installed it in my car. Seems all good now.

Wonda Fix
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

I posted a thread on this a while back. Similar approaches to what is shown here. Used construction adhesive I think. Worked great.

Ravi

EDIT: Here is the link https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1122098
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    I posted a thread on this a while back. Similar approaches to what is shown here. Used construction adhesive I think. Worked great.

Ravi

EDIT: Here is the link https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1122098
    Excellent thank you Ravi. I think I ran across your post as well.
    Will post progress on my arm rests!

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ve-door-opener

I did a more complicated fix, but you can replace the door pull since it is not glued down. Still holding
    Good luck
    Steve