Thread: My purchase of 9140431482 - Just facts; no spin or opinion

914/6 purch from MountainRoads after Rothsport PPI - Just facts; no spin or opinion

Since there’s a lot of overlap between Early911S’s & 914/6’s, I thought this worth posting here. As my thread title says, this is fact. I avoid personal opinion, and leave it to the reader to form his or her own opinion of parties involved. Before deciding to purchase, I hired Jeff Gamroth to perform a PPI for $1000. This’s the advertisement for the car in 2020 during the height of Covid:

[quote name='mountainroads' post='2820813' date='May 31 2020, 03:56 PM']
    Update: Car has been SOLD. Thanks.

VIN 9140431482. 126500 miles. Non-matching 2.7 liter engine. Original (AFAIK) transmission converted to side-shifter. Car appears mostly stock at first glance, hiding multiple subtle upgrades. Mildly flared fenders accommodate 7X15 Fuchs. Engine pulls strongly to redline and is an absolute blast to drive. Receives many compliments. Always garaged and never driven in rain during my ownership. Car is currently registered as a Collector Vehicle with a clear Washington State title.

I purchased this car in January 2012 with the intent to drive and enjoy it for a couple of years while I figured out exactly what I wanted to do, and then bring it up to a high end, driver-quality car. Local Washington State car its entire life, having originally been purchased new at Humphrey Porsche Audi VW in Everett. I believe I am the fourth owner with previous owner taking possession in 1993. Restored and maintained by best available local talent. Competing time demands and recent health issues cause me not to drive it as much as I hoped or should (~500 miles since I got the car back), so it’s time for someone else to have the pleasure. I’ve received a few word-of mouth nibbles but no follow-through, so offering publically here first, then PCA, then BAT. Detailed restoration documentation and maintenance invoices available. Asking price reflects our current economic reality. $59,500.

Body/Interior
    Started no-expense spared restoration in 2014. Paint and body work done by Kirsten Rillos at Rillos Restoration, Kent Wa. Interior by Steve Shepp, Classic Interiors, Ballard Wa.

- Full repaint in original Tangerine (23)
    - Only minor surface rust repair needed in a few spots (above left rear taillight, below windshield frame, etc.).
    - No structural rust or other body damage.
    - New battery tray - the only body part that warranted replacement. No damage to longitudinal, underneath.
    - New Wurth underbody sealant.
    - Patrick Motorsports rear chassis frame stiffening kit installed to accommodate increased engine HP. https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/bod-914-crk-pmp
    - All chrome and bright parts re-plated.
    - New windshield. (Original had scratch marks that wouldn’t come out. No cracks.)
    - Original rear window defroster.
    - All new rubber seals.
    - New seat upholstery, back pad, carpeting.
    - Original dash in excellent condition.
    - New CocoMats.
    - 911-E tachometer to better match engine redline. Original working tachometer comes with car.

Engine/Transmission
    All engine, transmission, mechanical installation and maintenance work performed by Chris’s Geman Auto Service in Redmond Wa. and Aker’s Porsche, Seattle Wa.

- New Elgin 306/288-106 camshafts.
    - New Carrera pressure-fed chain tensioners.
    - New 1st gear transmission synchro. Rings, sleeves, bushings, and gaskets as needed.
    - New Classic Retrofit CDI+ (6 Pin).
    - Original Italian Weber carbs rejetted for 2.7 and new cams.
    - Powder-coated original heat exchangers.
    - Oil tank cleaned and hot-tanked.
    - Fuel tank cleaned, boiled, and resealed.
    - New Dansk muffler.
    - New spark plugs, ignition wires, cap, and rotor.
    - Replaced original plastic fuel line with braided steel line through the tunnel.
    - New Optima yellow-top battery.
    - All new fluids, etc.

Brakes/Wheels/Running Gear
    - 7 X 15 Fuchs with RSR finish, restored by Harvey Weidman.
    - Goodyear Eagle GT 205/60R-15 tires.
    - 911-S aluminum front calipers.
    - Genuine NOS 914-6 GT (not cut down 911) rear brake rotors.
    - All brake calipers restored by PMB Performance. (Spacers installed in rears to fit the wider, ventilated GT rotors.)
    - New 23mm ATE master cylinder.
    - Powder-coated suspension components.
    - Koni shocks.
    - Tool kit and factory jack.

Additional parts, brand-new Covercraft car cover, factory service manuals come with the car.

Please PM me if seriously interested. I will do my best to respond on a daily basis, but I’m not in the profession of selling cars so please don’t expect an instant response. Apologies in advance for a few of the crappy cell phone pictures. They were the best I could manage at the time. Additional pictures and short running videos available upon request.

Thank you!

- MR

A couple of PRE-restoration and engine ready for re-install pictures, below.
    [/quote]

Here’s Gamroth’s PPI report:

“Exterior:
    Initial walk around shows all body gaps excellent, with excellent paint.
    No signs of major rust issues, found 1 10mm diameter bubble under paint below passenger side sail at leading edge of quarter panel.
    Trunks both excellent.
    Fuel tank and related plumbing excellent.
    Undercoat heavily applied.
    Top in excellent condition, latches very good.
    Leading edge Targa top seal needs re-gluing to windshield frame.
    Bumper chrome very good and aluminum trim very good.
    Wheels are in excellent condition, lug nuts in fair condition.
    Tires are dated 2011 and have flat spots from sitting.
    All lights work, horns work, wipers work.
    Rear fender flares very nicely done.
    Interior:
    In overall excellent condition, with some minor blemishes here and there. Dash is excellent, seats and carpet very good.
    Has period Personal/Fittipaldi steering wheel.
    Aftermarket speakers are loose.
    All gauges work, gauges have varied patina.
    Running Gear:
    Engine base is 73’ 911T, 2.4L 7R crankcase.
    Engine started good cold, with little smoke.
    Engine has Carrera tensioners and Petronix ignition trigger.
    Muffler is like new, heater boxes are in good condition, chrome tail pipe is missing. Slight seepage from pulley end of crankcase.
    Leak down test: 4, 6, 5, 6, 6, 6%.
    Oil tank and hoses are excellent.
    Transmission type - 914/01 #7501494, no leaks detected.
    Transmission shifts great, clutch cable needs adjustment.
    Feels like stock gear ratios, no LSD.
    Drive Test:
    Engine performance - very good.
    Driveability very good.
    Rev limiter set at 6500 - should be raised to 7300.
    Brake performance is poor due to crummy brake pads.
    Car tracks straight, steering wheel very slightly off center (minor).
    Has Bilstein front struts and Koni rear shocks.
    Has H&H adjustable front sway bar with Tarett adjustable drop links.
    911S Alloy front calipers.
    E-brake works.
    Has new battery.
    CD unit mounted in left side of engine bay (should be mounted on bracket in front of battery).
    Overall Impression:
    This car was obviously restored and modified with quality and taste in mind. I would recommend purchasing.”

And here’s a link to the entire thread on 914World:
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...ic=368857&st=0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Schaefer; 02-23-2024 at 02:19 PM.
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

Paid Member # 1991
    I saw this last night and wasn't sure what point Bob was trying to make. Figured it out this morning when I read the referenced 914world thread. Those who are interested can read my response there.

- MR
    Last edited by MountainRoads; 02-04-2024 at 01:31 PM.